1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music I need some new music!

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 6 Feb 2008.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

*sigh*

It always saddens me somewhat when people say this, because this is totally not what Dream Theater are about. If people actually listened to them they'd soon realise that a) they're not pretentious. Any band that continously attempt to get the phrase "eat my ass and balls" into every album at least somewhere can't be accused of pretentiousness. b) Bloated fret ******y? Hardly, they're soloy bits take up no more of their songs than any other rock and metal band, and many songs don't even have any solos.

I am fully aware some people like them simply because it's "cool to dig a progressive band", but I wouldn't even say they are that progressive, it's just damn good heavy metal IMO. But as you say, horses for courses, I'd just emphasise actually listening to them without preconceptions before making your mind up.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Some people like them because they are "technically" very talented. I'm sure they are, but that doesn't help when it all sounds like crap. (although i must admit that the intro on "Glass prison" is pretty nice)

I wouldn't categorize DT as heavy metal. It's not heavy at all.

3. koola

koola Minimodder

Just some songs from my recently played playlist. Dunno why itunes whores genre when on random lols.

Code:
    Baltimora - tarzan boy
    Kool & the gang - too hot
    Keath Sweat - I want her
    Greg Kihn - Breakup Song
    Expose - Come home with me
    Glenn Frey - You belong to the city
    Eddie Money - Take me home tonight
    john mellencamp - ROCK in the USA
    Sheriff - When I'm not with you
    styx - too much time on my hands
    Young MC - Bust a move
    Duran Duran - View to a kill
    Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson - Say Say Say
    Sprung Monkey - Beautiful
    Peter Bjorn & John - Young folks
    Hinder - Homecoming Queen
    The Almost - Say this sooner (no one will ever see the things I do)
    The prodigy - Breathe
    Eve 6 - Think twice
    Jet Lag Gemini - Run this city
    The Fratellis - Flathead
    Say Anything - Baby girl, I'm a blur
    Everlast - What It's like
    Papa Roach - Getting away with murder
    Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Wizards in winter (Instrumental)
    Stone Sour - Zzyzx rd
    Matisyahu - Jerusalem
    Godsmack - re-align
    blur - song 2
    Billy talent - Red flag
    Chevelle - The Fad
    Nine Black Alps - Unsatisfied
    Superdrag - Sucked Out

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

How about rise against, quite heavy, some say emo, not too much shouty screaming, and when they do its controlled and doesnt sound like someone stood on his testes.

Or if you are willing to listen to some punkier metal stuff how about strung out.

Alkaline trio are good, a lot of people say they are emo, but they have been around longer than that so I say they are punk rock but a bit odd and dark.

Edit:

What I have been listening to recently

Lagwagon (punk rock)
    Bad astronaut (punk rock, but a bit experimental)
    Coheed and Cambria (sounds like a woman, but he isnt. I promise)
    NOFX (Punk rock)
    Heavens (Sort of experimental techo/punk/pop/emo)
    Joey Cape & Tony Sly (accoustic versions of their bands songs, lagwagon and no use for a name)
    No use for a name (Punk rock, can be a bit emo)
    Killswitch Engage (Quite heavy metal a few of my friends say emo, very melodic but a bit of shouting)
    The song from the end of portal
    One song by death cab for cutie - I will follow you into the dark (accoustic emo/pop)

Last edited: 28 Mar 2008
  5. K

K 528491

Listening to Dream Theater makes me genuinely feel ill. Seriously. It's tosh.

Something completely different? Are you kidding me? In just three or so tracks this band manage to rip off the likes of Justice, LCD Soundsystem, Soulwax, Daft Punk, The Editors and even the Killers. It's not particularly bad per se, it's just horribly unoriginal.

6. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

how about marmaduke , at the drive in , sparta , mars volta, muse , biffy clyro , bullet for my valentine , thin lizzie , queens os stone age ,the used, staind , palvray .. and so on ... and pink floyd and queen its always nice

7. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

As a massive DT fan like yourself I completely agree with what you say but... think of it like this, the less people that hear about DT or like them the better :thumb: im not sure if its me or what, but I like when bands are unheard of, makes it that much more special for the fans!

Anyways, +1 for dream theater recomendation and i'd like to sugest abit of porcupine tree. And perhaps some spocks beard.

8. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Er... what's your point? The OP asked for something "different" FROM the bands he mentioned as examples of what he already likes. Does it offend you, yeah? totally fulfil this. I totally agree, they're not particularly original, but they do what they do very, very well in my opinion. If he'd asked for something different from the stuff he already likes that was also 100% original and non-derivative, I wouldn't necessarily have recommended them, but he didn't. So STFU, you jerk!

:D AH

9. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

SOAD is a genre :p

I was about to suggest Meshuggah but then read the thread. Probably not what you're after, It took me a month of forced listening at the hands of my housemate to get into them. Favorite band by now. Not so much music, more maths with instruments... Very VERY heavy (8 string guitars), Drummer playing 2 time signatures at once. Vocals are limited to shouting. I heard when they released their 2nd to latest album even the fans on the forum didn't like it, after a while it sunk in and became a favorite among fans. Needless to say they are incredibly hard to get into.

On another quite heavy level I would suggest Dark Tranquility. Nothing like Meshuggah, they are death metal but have some melodic songs. If you haven't already, give Opeth a shot and if you fancy something strange try Dååth.

I think they are probably a bit heavier than what you were looking for but they are good within their respective areas.

10. ThatGingerGuy

ThatGingerGuy † Bogan Red Neck †

Killswitch engage
    Atreyu
    Nightwish
    (just a few )

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

SOAD is just noise...

Dark tranquility is pretty good, though.

How exactly is Dååth pronounced? It looks really strange (Å is a letter in the Norwegian alphabet).

The New Nightwish is a shame, though. It have gotten to repetative and the new vocalist isn't great. Check out Tarja Turunens' solo project instead.

12. bort

bort What's a Dremel?

Flyleaf
    Saosin
    Paramour
    Funeral for a friend

13. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Do you mean Paramore? Not trying to be pedantic, it's just you won't find paramore in google/myspace etc if you put in paramour.

AH

14. ThatGingerGuy

ThatGingerGuy † Bogan Red Neck †

Yeah its a shame she left, best song i reckon "Nemo" . What type of music is Tarja singing now ?

15. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Wikipedia told me it was pronounced to rhyme with goth so I guess its ''Doth''. I am yet to have a conversation with anyone in person who has even heard of them never mind knows how to pronounce it. I originally ignored the accenting and went with plain Daath, I use Doth now. Whenever I talk to someone about them I explain that I may be pronouncing it wrong :p

I will also recommend Earth, kind of doom metal but without being inaccessibly heavy.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Yeah. She didn't leave, though. She was kicked out in the most immature way possible IMO. I believe the little older songs were better. Most of the stuff after Wishmaster is way to repetitive and boring.

Tarja sounds more like Nightwish sounded on Wishmaster and Oceanborn. Her cover of Poison (Alice Cooper) is just awesome!

the letter å is pronounced like the o in "north". And having two double å just maes the sound longer. To me it sounds like something a fluffy, bright yellow figure in some child TV program would say. "Dååth! I want cookie!" :duh: :hehe:

17. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

my music taste kind of ranges from the indie to the harder side of the emo bands, as so many call them.. i prefer post hardocre but anyways...
    you should check out
    brigade, fightstar, the academy is.., taking back sunday, lostprophets, alexis on fire, story of the year (maybe, not sure if it fits), funeral for a friend or angels and airwaves

18. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I would recommend

LSD march - good Japanese acid folk
    Arsis - Good American death metal for upbeatness
    Cannibal corpse - again good death metal

as for dream theatre not being progressive, can you not hear key changes, or time signature changes?

+1 for opeth as they are very awesome, i would recommend Blackwater park, Dammnation and Still Life as their better works.

19. bort

bort What's a Dremel?

yes - I did mean paramore - excuse me for the typo

20. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Where's the classical love in this thread? Can't beat a good bit of classical.

Tags: