Peripherals I need to make a decision

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by an93lofdeath, 23 Sep 2012.

?

what keyboard & mouse combo should I get?

1. Roccat Isku & Kone+

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Corsair Vengeance K60 & M60

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Mad catz R.A.T 7 & S.T.R.I.K.E 7

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Other

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. an93lofdeath

an93lofdeath What's a Dremel?

I have a short list of keyboard and mice for my next purchase as my current keyboard mouse (sidewinder X8 and Microsoft 600) coming to the end of their lives. So the short list is:

Roccat Isku and Kone+
    Corsair Vengeance K60 and M60
    Mad catz R.a.t 7 and S.t.r.i.k.e 7

do you guys have any thoughts or other suggestions? thanks you in advance.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would reccomend to get a CMStorm Rapid. If you are going to go mech get a better one than the partial mech Corsair.

3. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

I agree with the above, although I can vouch that the K60, if even partial mechanical is a lovely keyboard :) but bear in mind if you go mechanical there are various switch types to consider. Might be worth taking a look at the mechanical keyboard thread if you go down this route

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I was really not impressed by the K60, not enough quality for the money.

5. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Mionix Saiph/SteelSeries 6GV2

6. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Go roccat if you're primarily a gamer. The keyboard is perfect for gaming, but a bit to small and cramped for typing, and I can personally attest the kone + is worth its weight in gold..... though I am a claw gripper so you might not agree. Plus 'talk' or whatever it is called really does help with fps's and mmo's I find.

7. longweight

I also hated the Kone+, awful quality, I went the the Logitech G700 which is amazing!

8. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Longweight above me knows far more than I ever will about mech. keyboards, so I should caveat my post above regarding the K60. I bought it second hand for 50 quid which I thought was fair. I can agree that the RRP price is a little steep. It is also my first mech. keyboard so I am bias, but coming from a normal keyboard it is world apart. And that is good :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

The kone or the kone + and the first or revised edition, a friend had issues with the first edition scroll wheel etc, but I have had mine for ages and is the best mouse I have ever tried, the most comfortable and the most customizable.

Also to the OP I think you need to go try a few out, before I found the kone not a single gaming mouse felt comfortable and my hand would always cramp very quickly. I think its a totally personal thing.

10. an93lofdeath

Thanks for all the replies. My first choice were the Roccat Isku and Kone+ just because of the software configuration it seems the best for my needs but as I said I have seen the other sets and thought they look nice. Mechanical is not my primary concern as I am a gamer, but would be nice to upgrade. I have tried a few mechanical keyboards and the cherry MX red switches in the K60 are fine and it doesn't matter to me too much that it is not full mech. I like also that the mad catz are so phisicaly configurable I have heard it said that they are a very comfortable set. Just so you know I am quite OSD about the mouse and keyboard being from the same manufacturer so the aesthetic matches sorry if this makes things harder.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2012
  11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I have a Filco KB and a Logitech G700 mouse. they go quite well together both are black and void of flashy gamer lights :D

BTW: you can macro any KB with the right software. Be aware some Games see Macro-ing as cheating and ban-able offense.

12. longweight

It's the best combination ;)

13. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Try them all out and pick the ones that are most comfortable to you in normal useage.

14. an93lofdeath

Thanks again for the replies guys I will try out some of your suggestions.

I don't like the look of the G700 as it has too many buttons for me and the falco is too loud for my taste (does it come with other switches).

Does no one have any opinions on the mad catz peripherals, I am most interested in them to be honest as they are so configurable.

More info for you though, I apologize this was not in my original post. I am a FPS gamer so macros don't matter all I really need is to be able to keep my fingers on WASD or not get confused if I have to. another thing is that if I really think about it I do need back lighting as the place I do most of my gaming is quite dark so this takes the K60 & M60 out of the equation thanks for your help you guys :rock: keep it coming.

15. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I have a R.A.T 7 and I personally love the sheer number customisation options available as you can tailor it to your personal syle. It is a very large mouse though and is definitely not for everyone I would recommend trying one out first if you can.

As for the S.T.R.I.K.E 7 I would stay away. whilst customisation on a mouse is a nice plus it is absolutely pointless on a keyboard in my opinion as you are paying a premium for the ability to move your numpad section from right to left. The 'venom' touch screen is nice but ultimately its functionality is limited as all of its functions and information can be achieved by a second screen.

I would suggest the R.A.T 7 mouse and the Isku keyboard

16. an93lofdeath

thanks for the opinion I agree with some of what you are saying. I have a sidewinder X8 and that thing is rather massive, I swap between claw and palm depending on the situation so I think the size of the rat would be ok. I would like to know about the thumb wheel, I use the tilt scroll wheel all the time for swaping gadgets in BF3 and I was wondering if the thumb wheel can be used in the same way. Can you configure it to be a different key press for up and down?

The s.t.r.i.k.e7 keyboard doesn't just allow the keypad to be on the left you can construct a N52 style key pad thing and have all the modules separated or not even use them. I appreciate the screen is a bit gimmicky and the apps you get are limited but it does look cool. I also know that the keyboard is very expensive and that is the only reason I am not just getting that.

I appreciate all the help guys keep them coming.

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

After what you have said, I totally recommend you do this:
    Focus on a mouse and pick the best one for your needs.
    Then take whatever keyboard matches it.

You will be happier IMO :)

Sounds like the Kone+ will be perfect for you, the new editions are great quality and superb mice for claw or palm as required. I've used and tested about 15 mice so I can attest to that :)

18. an93lofdeath

I accept your proposal. I will have a go at that. I would still like some suggestions.

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

OK welcome to Hamza's mouse choosing masterclass! So we know you like to switch from claw to palm.

Well firstly would you accept matching peripherals from different manufacturers? If for example they were both black or something.

Secondly, regarding mice obviously the best option is to head over to a store and try some in hand. Choose the one that gives an instant feeling of liking and familiarity over anything else. But seeing as this is a forum, lets ignore that and see what we can do. In general you want a mouse that is familiar in shape and suits the habits that are second nature to you now. The shape is by far the most important factor.

Would you prefer a small or large mouse?
    Do you pivot on your wrist, or use your forearm for movement?
    What kind of shape do you think you would like?

20. an93lofdeath

the peripherals must match brand I am OCD about that.

Large ish
    A bit of both

Well I like the shape of my current mouse the sidewinder x8 but I also like the shape of the G5 as that was my mouse before the sidewinder. This is why I was interested in the rat as the shape can be changed to my hand so I think it would be rather comfortable. the Roccat Kone+ I know is not exactly the same shape as the G5 but is a little similar.