1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I want my Sky to show on 2 TVs in 2 Rooms

Discussion in 'General' started by adzc1987, 10 Sep 2012.

1. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Hey all, i barely used my multiroom on sky so im jacking it. But i want to be able to allow my sky box in the living room be able to display on the bedroom TV and be able to use the sky remote. (Also in HD as i still have that part)

I have seen things like this-

http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=587490

Does anyone have an experience of these sort of things?

I would prefer no wires as im in a rental house.

Cheers

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Ive tried a few things from running wires to other more imaginative solutions.

none of them really worked out over the years we have had sky installed. Running wires kinda worked but we had to set the channel downstairs, We found a remote transfer box that could press the buttons upstairs and it worked downstairs we are talking a good 10 years back now. Wether such a thing exists still i have no idea.

The more work like solution was a scart socket transfer box which let the sky display the picture on 2 tv screens from scart lead. This was both costly and difficult to setup due to the distances between the rooms. ( need tv cable similar to sky to run between the 2 junction boxes ) It also suffered from audio degration and picture issues.

£150 looks like alot for Wifi transfer as if you live in some concrete house of old /new then the wifi signal will be awful and you will lose picture quality id imagine. ( reading reviews of what you linked indicates people have signal issues )

Its cheaper and less hassle just to pay multibox for £10 a month.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

4. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

HDMI over wireless is pretty much not going to work well, HDMI over IP works fine but you'd be looking at £200-£300+ for a sender and reciever pair that's worth having. I'd run a co ax for control (using a cheap sky eye) and get a pair of HDMI over cat 5 converters and a HDMI splitter all in will cost you less than £100 and work a million times more reliably then anything requiring a lot of data and a constant contection over wi fi.

if your not too bothered about HD in the bedroom just a co ax and sky eye will do the job and cost you about £20

Last edited: 10 Sep 2012
  5. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

6. st00dent

st00dent Minimodder

i got a scart one which is ok, but no hd :( also gets fuzzy when the neighbour is hoovering! but not a prob at night!

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

doesnt a sky box only output over co-ax ?

dont remember there being HDMI out ?

if you use the co-ax you will lose the HD but if you use the 12V output then to a 1in 4out amplifier (thats compatible with magiceye) you can use magiceye so your remotes work on any TV.

8. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Sky HD box has HDMI out.

it's 9V not 12v and you don't need a splitter if your going from 1 box to 1 other TV over RF (there is 2 RF out puts on the box anyway not that you'd really want to use the un powered one for anything!)

and you can still watch the HD channels it's just the picture you recieve at the other end is far from HD (but perfectly watchable if your in bed and don't have a massive TV in the bed room).

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Get a 2 x 1 HDMI Matrix and an IR extender? Then you would just need to run the HDMI cable

10. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I dont want to pay for the multiroom, thats the point also i have a sky+HD box in the living room so it will be better as i can then watch my recordings

Also wireless preferably as i dont want to be drilling holes and running cables, i doubt the landlord will let me as the previous tenant did.

I saw something similar to what fat tony suggests, do you think this would work through one of those network ports via the house wiring? something like this http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=48539 (I already have a couple, not of thsi brand)

Sky+HD Box -> HDMI-CAT5 -> Powerline ~ Powerline -> CAT5-HDMI -> TV

Then i just need to get the remote to work somehow.....

At a push i suppose we can forget about the HD side of it, it isnt that big a screen.

11. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I think you would need some serious Powerline adapters to get a decent signal.

12. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

No!! your confusing HDMI over cat5 with HDMI over IP. HDMI over cat5 uses the actual wires in the cat 5 to send the signal, HDMI over IP adapters do exist but there a lot more expensive (Like This $1000+ a pair)and although theoretically they'll work over ethernet over mains adaptors your very unlikly to get close to the required bandwidth.

Can you not just slig a cable out of the window in the bedroom and into the living room save drilling holes??

13. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

This

Here's what I've done:

[​IMG]

Red lines are HDMI, Green Lines are Cat 5 and Black is Coax.

Turn on the 9V supply in the Sky settings for the magic eye.

Works really well - of course, it's not quite as good as Multi Room as you can't watch different channels on the two TVs - but it's great for watching Sky in bed. And it's all HD, and a lot cheaper.:)

14. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

On the flip side, you only have to remeber to record stuff in one place and you can watch it in either, plus you can pause TV in the living room go up get ready for bed then unpause it in the bedroom. So for me it's better this way except when my daughter wants to get up early and watch Cbeebies and I want to lay in bed and watch the food network...

15. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Could just use sky go in other rooms ?

Always annoyed me how tv company's make you pay more for extra tvs.

16. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Thanks for the responses guys, had a wee talk with the missus an we decided we will just leave it. Its nto worth the hassle.