CPU i7 extreme or phenom 2 black edition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xp-T, 25 Oct 2010.

1. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

both six core,i7 EX has a 12MB cache where as phenom BE has 9MB.The i7 EX is 3.33ghz but the phenom runs at 3.20ghz so technically their almost the same apart from brand and the small differences,which one for a gaming machine?

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Neither for a gaming machine. Both chips are huge overkill.
    Still, for raw power, get the i7 980X.

3. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

you cant just base it ONLY on performance

the i7 980x is made on the 32nm process, meaning it is just as good as the old i7 965 but has theoretically, 50% extra performance (i read this on PCFormat and wasnt too sure about this statement), this alone already means theyre not the same

the i7 980x is also a monster at overclocking too, with a 4.4 Ghz max overclock on AIR alone.

Now back to youre question on which one is better for gaming, the AMD one is probably the best one if youre on a budget, the i7 while is technologically awesome, is Overkill +1 for gaming, most games dont optimise more than 2 cores currently and that is unlikely to change in the future.

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

you can not just compare chips like that it doesn't work!!! as the i7 has a much more advanced architecture, and it will absolutely smash the phenom

tbh no one needs the 980x if you are just gaming a 950 chip will perform nearly as well if not on par with the 980x

your best bet is to buy a 950 i7 and get a good cooler and overclock it easily to 4.0ghz

5. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

so the i7 is future proof...almost lol well i want to build my own computer and i want it as future proof as it can be,so im making sure my thoughts are right here,that overkill would add life to it lol thanks :)

6. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

im all about making my computer last so thats all,i have a list of parts so im not just comparing the cpus because i know it depends on the motherboard ect but thanks :p

7. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

It's a bit like a moped running @ 3000-rpm and a 2ltr TDI car running @ 3000rpm.
    The moped would result in 20mph and the car would be doing 90mph.
    But the engines are spinning at the same speed ;=)

8. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

was thinking a setup like this

EVGA GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper Cheesecake <graphics card

i7 extreme <cpu

EVGA X58 SLI 3 <motherboard

EVGA Classified SR-2 1200W Power Supply <psu

not sure about ram but i want 2 hard drives(one being an ssd hard drive) and im not sure about the case

9. mecblade

whats youre budget for your rig, i could spec a good gaming PC for you ;)

10. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

aaah we have a car lover? lol i tryed to convince my sister to let me install a set of SLI drilled brake discs on the vectra...she said no lol

11. bagman

bagman Minimodder

so you are thinking of water cooling as well then ?

12. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

i have a huge budget of...£0 lol im not sure when i can get a new p.c yet,im just planning

13. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

i've had dreams of spending alot of cash on a system and watercooling p*ssing all over it lol

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

^ this.

If you want to get scientific about it, have a look at this: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=186.

Then have a read of this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/balanced-gaming-pc-overclock,review-31966-16.html.

[​IMG]

TL;DR - with the same high end graphics card (e.g. a 5870 or 5970), you will not notice the difference in gaming between a Phenom II X2 550 BE, an Athlon II X4 640, a Phenom II X4 955 BE, a Phenom II X6 1055T or an i7 920 if they are all overclocked. You can probably include an i5 760 (overclocked) in that statement as well.

Once you get to a certain CPU speed, your gaming performance will be determined by your GPU, not your CPU.

Save yourself some money and go for an i7 950 and overclock it as suggested by bagman. If you want to go AMD, a Phenom II X4 BE is good value for money. I would suggest a quad core to give you some future proofing because although most games don't use any more than two cores, the trend is heading towards using them in the future.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2010
  15. mecblade

*facepalm*

Well for a start youre PSU is overkill, that PSU was specifically designed to handle all 4 GPUs on a SR-2 rig holding 4x Nvidia GeForce 295s, i highly doubt you would need THAT MANY GPUs in youre rig :jawdrop: .
    For youre motherboard, if you want a high end cheesecake, go for the ASUS Rampage Extreme III, brilliant overclocker, comes with TONS of features and has the Crazy but Cool award on Custom PC. However, i highly doubt you would need it, go for a ASUS P6X58D-E or the Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3-R (Ver 2), they are pretty much even in terms of performance.

I wouldnt count on the 480 yet if i were you, AMD have recently released theyre 6xxx series radeon GPUs, which offer better power consumption and lower temperatures than the 4xx series from Nvidia (of course, you wouldnt need central heating in your house with a 480 in youre rig)

All of this is based on the current time right now, bear in mind Intel are going to release the Sandy Bridge CPUs in 2011, and from what ive seen in other threads youve posted in, youre not a particular fan of overclocking and so wont cry when you see sandy bridge is limited to multiplier overclocking only.

Finally, in terms of memory if youre on a budget, then the Corsair XMS will do just fine :) dont go over 1600 though, as it has no real world benefit.

16. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

i like nvidia GFX even tho im using ati at the moment lol the psu...well yeah its overkill but you wont need another one if the parts start using more power :p and the RAM...i was going to go for that lol 6GB or 8GB...oh and the new CPU from intel...im googling that lol

17. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

oh they made a locked and an unlocked version so if you like to overclock you have to pay more

18. mecblade

sorta, what theyre doing is if you want to overclock then you have to get a K version of youre CPU, basically it has a unlocked multiplier for overclocking.

Also, i dont think you can get 8GB on a x58 mobo, 4 and 8 GB = dual channel, 6 and 12 and 24 GB = Triple Channel

19. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

im waiting for the new 2011 CPU's lol intel wont give a clock speed so they have to be good lol

20. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

the evga x58 sli3 has a choice,dual or triple