1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i915GMm-HFS and HTPC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gstlouis, 14 Jan 2007.

1. gstlouis

gstlouis What's a Dremel?

I'm interested in building a media-based pc. I saw the AOpen i915GMm-HFS MB and the component out was quite flattering to me. However, I realize this motherboard is nearly 2 years old and I'm a bit worried about the technical capabilities of an outdated system. This MB uses the Socket 479 Pentium M. While I won't be using this system for playing games, it will primarily be used for playing multimedia content. I plan on using the integrated graphics because of the component video.

Considering the capabilities of a Pentium M processor combined with this motherboard and the integrated graphics through the YPbPr, will this slightly outdated setup meet the demands of modern multimedia?

If not, what hardware can you recommend that would enable me to connect through component video to my HDTV, and provide a feasible amount of power to drive modern multimedia, without going overkill.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'd say it would be. HTPCs that aren't encoding can be P2s, as far as I know...

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's the Abit I..something. Uses socket 479 Core processors and is much newer. Trustedreviews.com has the review iirc.

To be honest, onboard video is always a bit "meh". Just buy a reasonably cheap video card that does HDTV out through a breakout cable. Instead of having a 4 pin svideo port in the back they have a 7pin one that enables component as well. Or, you could just buy a HDMI compatible Sapphire x1300.