1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IBM hard disk failure?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dremel_Freak, 25 Aug 2001.

1. Dremel_Freak

Dremel_Freak New Member

One of my 15Gig IBM deskstar's has just failed and I've been hearing stories of even the new 60GXP's failing quite alot too - anyone know why? Is it due to the high FSB's that people are running these days or is IBM's drive reliability going downhill?

Any thoughts?

2. Bursar

Bursar New Member

I would suspect (but I don't know for sure) that the drives reliability is the sam as the previous models.

I think they have just become so popular now that when they fail you hear about it from lots of people.

I'm sure Maxtor/Seagate etc drive fail on a regular basis, but they don't seem as popular so you don't hear about it as much.

Just my tuppence worth :)

3. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

I have had problems with these drives.... The problem is the connections on the PCB if you unplug/plug your HDD alot then it weakens these connections causing failure.

Don't buy IBM if you are like me and like to swap hardware in your machine 3 times a day!

4. RTT

RTT #parp

one of my maxtors went tits up about a week ago :rolleyes:

when i RMA it it'll be the 2nd hard drive i've had to RMA in a month :(

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Yep my one sort of died, due to the connection. If u moved the connector then it would work again it was a bastatd if it moved on its own when burning. So many wasted cds :(
    4-6 week wait for replacement :(