1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Icon problems and TweakUI won't install

Discussion in 'Software' started by toyomatt84, 9 Oct 2004.

1. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Well, ever since I got this pc finished it's been hassle after hassle. I really can't hit a lucky patch.

I posted before on what I have for a system, and I'll post it again for the ease of things. What my question is, is what is going wrong when my shortcut arrows on my icons are white fuzzy squares, and icons for certain programs, links, and exe's are fuzzy white squares? I think it's a system32.dll error, but am not sure.

I also can't install Microsoft's TweakUI, due to a "GetDllDirectoryW could not be located in kernel32.dll" My only hope is that I don't have to reformat again, because I've tried that and it doesn't solve the problem for very long.

If you need a screenshot of both errors in action, I can post one in deviantart. Just tell me what you guys need. I've found bit-tech to be more than helpful in these situations, and I'd like to thank everyone here for their kindness.

2. toyomatt84

Here's the system specs.

AMD 3400+
    MSI MicroATX mobo
    OCZ low latency PC4000 2x512
    Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro TOXIC
    2x Western Digital SATA 200gig hdd's
    Soundblaster Audigy 2
    Swiftech Liquid cooling blocks

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Try deleting ShellIconCache file and rebooting, a new copy will get built.

XQ Setup has options to delete the file & also to increase the cache size (Under Interface/Icons)
    Arrows and some system icons are in Shell32.dll IIRC.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2004
  4. toyomatt84

Awesome, I'll try that quick.

5. toyomatt84

Ok, well, I bumped the cache from 500 to 2000 and it still didn't change them back. I think my system32.dll file is screwed up, but yet, I can't change it back to stock, due to the fact that I can't install tweakui. What the douce?

Tags: