1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News id Software wants longer console lifetimes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jun 2011.

1. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Is like saying let's stop any progress we had made and returned to Stone Age era.

2. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

I have to say id have really lost all relevance to most gamers PC or console they even said they wouldn't jump in on the wii U like anyone cares! and Nintendo do fun almost better then most

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Even though the PC is the last in a long line of platforms I've used (coming from the venerable Commodore 64) I distinctly remember my thoughts when gaming was about to be moved from the DOS platform to the Windows platform. That was around the release of Win95 OSR2, if memory serves correctly, which incidentally was the first version of Windows to ship with DirectX.

I remember contemplating the added bloat. All the processes which would run in the background during gaming, and which had nothing to contribute to the gaming experience. I wondered if Microsoft perhaps intended to freeze those processes while gaming (I was still youngish and idealistic at the time :)) or take other steps towards maximizing performance. Alas, that never happened and even if DirectX has gotten better with every version I still cannot shake the feeling that there an inordinate amount of wasted resources when gaming on Windows.

Considering that these days only two major players in the GPU space remain, which should simplify development, I'm once again wondering if it wouldn't be possible to optimize performance by cutting through the layer of fat that is Windows.

4. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Why does everyone continue to post all these interviews from ID? ID are irrelevant now, trading on past glories for decades. Who cares what they think - there are many more relevant minds out there we would rather be reading the thoughts of.

Tags: Add Tags