1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Ideas for a NAS+ - suggestions more than welcome!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shomann, 10 Jul 2008.

1. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Are you speaking of this Firefly?

I am running my RAID in software. After weighing the pros and cons I decided that the processor would never be taxed enough to notice a speed difference between software and hardware RAID-5. Also, I have successfully been able to "re-assemble" (no data loss, up and running again instantly) the RAID across 2 different OS installs (one from a USBLive install, the other from USB HD, both in Xbuntu).

For my OS, so far, I have been using Xbuntu. There is a great tutorial here for setting up a software RAID-5 using Ubuntu/Xbuntu. I have been happy with performance so far, but I need to set up some proper testing to really find out what it's capable of.

Anyone know of a good HD test suite in Linux? I know of hddtemp, but something to measure throughput would be excellent.

I hear you. If it had just been the temps I think I still would have held onto the DQ45EK as it is a fantastic little board. Just adding an old Aluminum heatsink was enough to dramatically effect the temps of the uncovered from the factory ICH10. If I swap mobos again it will be for that dual-core Atom - but I have the aforementioned Jetway AMD board enroute right now.

Even with all this part swapping, the total finished cost will be under my budget with FAR more flexibility than off the shelf NASs.

2. Bozzy34

Bozzy34 What's a Dremel?

That's the one. I think I have it set up correctly because I can log into it's web server OK. I thinks it's down to me not having the avahi-daemon correctly configured. I'm fairly new to Linux and i'm finding the learning curve can be pretty high sometimes.

That's what I will be using. That link will come in handy. :thumb:

3. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Well, you CAN setup a software RAID in Windows too. If you start disabling services to make the footprint smaller, Windows can make a pretty good server.

I prefer Linux just because I have seen systems stay up for months on end running processes nearly non-stop. I do find that some hardware level stuff is better in Windows. For instance, I causally pulled my USB keyboard and mouse out of my Xbuntu install only to have the system non-responsive when I plugged them back in. I didn't try to troubleshoot the issue much, but that's one of those things that I never think about with Windows or Mac OS X.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2008