1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Ideas for combined server/gaming rig - Help wanted! (pics)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stig, 21 Dec 2008.

1. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Hello all. This is my first post, but I've been snooping around these boards for a long time now. I'm about to build myself 2 new machines - an i7 based, watercooled gaming rig, and a file server. I've never done any serious modding before, but I've recently been inspired. So, I'd like some input on what you think I should do. Keep in mind that this is my first time, so I don't want to push myself too hard on the first time out.

My idea right now is to combine the two rigs into one using a UFO Duality case. If I go that route, I'd like some ideas on how I could make it look interesting. I'd like to maximize room for the server side of things, because it will start with 6-8 HDD's and eventually have up to 16 (though after looking at the case a bit more 12 is probably a more reasonable number to shoot for).

So, any input/ideas/resources/inspiration would be awesome. Thanks much!

I'm working on getting some sketchup mockups done, but I haven't used it for a long time, so it's taking me a while to get back up to speed :)

EDIT: Now, after a bit more consideration, there is another option I'd explore but only if some kinds souls would be willing to help. Custom fabrication (could be through MM or if anyone has a recommendation). I would need help getting the plans drawn up, and working through measurements/requirements with someone. But if somebody here thinks my idea sounds interesting and has these skills to offer I'd love to work with you!

Last edited: 23 Dec 2008
  2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

If you're after a custom build I'd talk to Gravaeg, that rig is a bit big for what you need, topping out on 125x65x32cm (so he says), but I'm sure that if you change the measurements around a little (2/3 of what he has for height) it'll be near-enough accurate... If you want any help with the looks of the thing, give me a shout (Or I'm sure others will be happy to help as well)

Oh... and welcome to Bit-Tech :)

3. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link. Looks a little big, but definitely something I can take inspiration from :)

4. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Done a quick mockup (mostly modifying the UFO Duality that was in the sketchup components site, thanks much btw!) Something like this would probably suit my needs pretty well. It would either need some added space on bottom or the Pedestal.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Dec 2008
  5. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Looks very similar to a Lian-Li 343B, the only thing I'd be worried about is the heat, between the motherboards (and the PSUs)

Keep in mind that for every 3 5.25" bays you can get 4 3.5" bays (using an adaptor), I think you might be better off with a scratch build modelled on that case, but with cooling solutions a lot better than the UFO has (especially as one of the PCs will be a gaming rig)

6. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

I've done a bit more work and adjusted the back panel, moving the two mobo trays closer together, giving room for a 120mm fan to be added. That should help some with the cooling. I'm also considering changing over to the UFO-Extended to give me an extra 6 inches to work with. Right now, with the mass amount of 5.25 bays, there isn't really a place to put a rad. I thought about top mounting it with a custom top panel, but there wasn't room after the PSU's were in place.

[​IMG]

7. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

So I decided it was time to actually do some more serious work in sketchup. I took the parts I previously modified, took some more parts and hacked them up too, and then put it all together. What results is an 18"(w)x24"(l)x18"(h) case (same dimensions as the U2UFO-Extended) with 18x 5.25" bays, 2 mobo trays w/120mm fan cutouts both facing outward, and 2x PSU slots.

I still haven't made any modification to the top panel. I'm still getting measurements for a few things before I know where I can stick my fans up top. I'll be top mounting a 120.3 thermochill rad, and space providing, a 120.1 or 120.2 as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That white box is a placeholder for my gaming rig PSU (Corsair HX1000). I'll be adding more parts later on to see if this will all fit. I welcome feedback!

8. Puck0

Puck0 What's a Dremel?

I think that you should separate the two mobos completely , like 2 cases stuck together....
    How would you like the idea , of putting another case smaller one (in terms of height) at the bottom of the main case , so psu's and w/c pumps should lay inside, soundproofed??

Also at server's pc 5.25 bays , you should put the rad with a nice grill upfront...

P.S I quite fancy the idea for my systems too. I was thinking going exotic (carbon fiber plates & tubes...) will see..!

9. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Almost all the 5.25 bays will be filled with hotswap bays. If they weren't, I'd be putting a nice grill or something in front of them. I think only 3 bays will not be used for hotswap bays. Those 3 will contain a DVD drive and a LCD screen for tracking temps, etc.

10. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

That looks a lot like a lian li pc343 cabinet pc

11. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

It is similar. I want the space and 5.25 bays provided by the lian li, but I want more customizability (2 mobo trays, etc). This is also a bit deeper than the lian li.

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

what are you going to use as a file server? You could concider mATX for some extra room. With different kinds of heat coming from both machines, you should be looking at an a-symmetric setup, at least for the cooling solution.

I'd put the radiator in the side, with a winow in the top. This thing will be great to look at from the top, ith it's two boards stuck together and all :)

13. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

I'm still not sure what mobo i'll be using for my file server. I've looked at a mATX, but it will all come down to what raid controller(s) I end up getting. If I can get a good deal on a 12 or 16 port 3ware card I can probably go mATX, but otherwise I'll probably have to go with standard ATX just so that I can fit in extra raid cards and have enough onboard SATA to get everything hooked up.

Though I do like that idea for the side rad/top window...i'll mess with the model tomorrow to come up with a solution for that :)

14. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

Heat from that many HDD's will be an issue. I think I would make 3 separate thermal zones.

1. HDD zone
    Side exhaust fans to pull air thru the front of the bays and out of the chassis.​
    2. Server MB / PSU Zone
    • Normal air cooling with intake from the side panel and exhaust through the PSU and 120mm fan.
    • Window in the top panel to show off your equipment.
    3. Gaming MB / PSU Zone
    • Radiator in the side panel configured as an intake
    • Exhaust through the PSU and 120mm in the rear. you may also want to use the vented PCI slot covers.
    • Window in the top panel to show off your equipment.

With that many HDD's cable management may be your biggest issue. in your position I would look at SAS/SATA RAID controllers. Many of them combine 4 ports into a single octopus cable,, greatly reducing the number of cables you have to route. And, if you use a 4x3.5 to 3x5.25 HDD rack it's 1 cable per rack. :clap:

Good luck and post a log, this looks like it'll be fun. :D

15. Puck0

Puck0 What's a Dremel?

i like this cable for the sata drives...

[​IMG]

16. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

I'm definitely going to use 4x3.5 > 3x5.25 bays. Haven't decided on which yet, but that is a must. Thankfully that means I'll have a 120mm fan for every 4 drives already, so at least that will be some intake. I'm in the process of redesigning the side panels and the top, and I'll have those posted either late tonight, or sometime after Christmas.

I'm also looking into something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999704 to help with some more venting around the motherboards. I still haven't found one that looks very good though, so if you have any recommendations there (or if you think I should just skip it!) please let me know.

Cable management has also got me a bit worried, but its something I'm also thinking about. I will be using (at least one) raid card. And those "octopus" cables look like they might be just the thing I need!

I'll be sure to start a log once I get my drawings finalized and start ordering stuff :)

17. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

I'd avoid that fan your looking at. I have a similar one; it's loud and doesn't move a lot of air. You could make a duct from plexi that exhausts through the PCI slots and has an 80mm or 120mm fan attached.

18. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I was wary of them, but thought if they had decent cfm they might be ok. I'll figure out something.

Also, new ideas! I'm working on a mockup similar to Fumduck's suggestion: top window, side mounted rad. But I'm also working on creating a second compartment at the bottom of the case (just in the back half) that will hold the PSU's. That would free up the view from the top. I don't really want to have a top window that stares down at the top of 2 PSU's. Not very interesting :)

19. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Soooo.....I've just taken a look at the FiveWood project that's been nominated for Mod OTY, and I'm thinking that my wife may like the computer a bit better if I go the all wood route. Plus, I'd actually be able to do a lot of the construction myself, which is a huge plus! So, expect to see some revised drawings coming up after Christmas!

20. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Quick update. I have ordered a motherboard/cpu/psu/raid cage/hdd's for the server side of the project! It will be temporarily housed in an old Lian-Li PC-60 so that I can make sure everything works :)

I'm also ALMOST sure I have my final "idea" for the case, so I'll be getting stuff up for that soon. Hopefully I'll start the build in the next month or so!