1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Ideas on switching multiple circuits from a single momentary switch?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tacticus, 26 Dec 2006.

1. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

I am currently designing some pcbs to hold quite a few LEDs for monitoring the activity of drives in a RAID array(RAS i know) in total there are 32 leds that link to the card in 8 groups

4 groups of error LEDs and 4 groups of activity LEDs

Each group is comprised of a common + and seperate - for each LED

up to this stage i have everything under control and think it will be fairly easy heres the problem

I want to be able to switch off/on the leds using a momentary switch

as in when i push the momentary switch i want it to close the circuits and when i push the momentary again i want it to open the circuits

At first i was considering using several relays (1 per group on the + connection into the group.) But i do not know if this would work

any ideas?

The device that will be providing the connections for the leds
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816115031

it provides +3.3 volts on 1 of the pins in each group of 5 in the horizontal pin groups at the top of the card

the momentary part of this is kinda required because i havn't found a toggled version of the bulgin illuminated switch :(

2. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a job for a flip-flop (nice write up by cpemma; although it applies to fans, you can substitute your led supply there...).

3. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

hrrm hoping that i am reading this (electrical nub for now)

that looks like an awesome idea. i think i shall go get the components for that today when the shops open and after i have a sleep (night shifts make for odd sleeping patterns)

/me continues to peruse cpennas site

hrrm i suppose i better take some pics of this project and chuck them up when i am done :)

Last edited: 26 Dec 2006
  4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If you were wanting to cycle through several (up to 10) sub-circuits, moving on to the next module every time you press the button, a 4017 decade counter plus debounced switch could be used.