1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Identify that cable!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dizman, 25 Aug 2007.

1. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

I've recently purchased one of these ipod car adapters, and I'm trying to figure out a way to more permanently mount it in my car. It has four pieces: A "brain", a controller, a screen, and the ipod itself. The best way that I can think of would be to put the "brain" in my trunk (there's a whole compartment for audio stuffs) and run cables to the other three parts which would be up front. The problem is that the cables are far too short, attached to each device, and, as far as I can tell, the connectors that plug into the brain are not of any standard. Being too much of a pansy to just cut into the cables and splice in more wire, I thought I'd make extensions to each cable. I think I've identified the ipod cable as mini-DIN (same as a PS/2 mouse but with a different pin arrangement), but I can't figure out what the connectors on the cables to the controller and screen are. They look like a 2.5mm trs jack with an additional, RCA-like ring around them. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

So yeah, if anyone can identify that, I'd be eternally grateful.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hmm, to me that just looks like a 3.5mm jack (or whatever size, can't tell from the picture) with additional stuff just for kicks, I wouldn't of thought that does anything apart from lock the cable in maybe, but then I'm no expert. I'd try a standard 3.5mm cable first if you have one lying around to see if that works if no-one else can be of any help.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Could it be this?

4. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

Veles - It never even crossed my mind that a piece of metal didn't carry signal. I'll get a standard 2.5mm plug and see if that works.

cpemma - It looks a bit like the gen 2 jack, but it only has one outer ring, and is 2.5mm instead of 3.5.

Thanks for help guys, I'll check if that extra ring is actually used...

5. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

Looks like the inner and outer rings do actually carry something, had a look at few online electronics retailers and couldn't see anything but will have a another look and report back if I find anything.