1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IE9 preview brings GPGPU acceleration

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 17 Mar 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Well done M$.

3. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

i have a suggestion, please can you allow a "click big" option for your new article images?

whats the point in having an image if you cant read it?
    surely im not the only one who struggles to read the text in it?

thankyou!

4. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

I expect we'll see nvidia vs ati benchmarks for Crysis, Heaven, AVP and IE9 now :D

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Opera 10.50 scores 100/100 in the ACID3 test... first browser I've seen that hits that.

6. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

actually... not to ditch opera, but Chrome has been getting a 100/100 score in Acid3 for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time now...
    in any case, i just compared the performance of ie9/chrome/ie8/firefox and ie9 renders at incredible speeds where the rest of the browsers are stuck at 2-3 fps... ie9 meanwhile rendering at 64 fps. i'm impressed!!

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

+1

Other than that: Thanks, I'll stay with FF. But it's good to see MS learn and improve.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

come on chrome lol. Might be enough to switch back to firefox or IE. Depends on security first and foremost tho then speed.

9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I might have to ditch Safari ...

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

GPU rendering is a big win, but it is disappointing that, while IE9 annihilates IE8 on JS performance, it is still waaaaaaaaaay behind Safari, Chrome and Opera's latest efforts, all of which lay the smack down pretty hard on IE9.

Boasting that "IE9 is quicker than IE8" is much like bragging that your 1.2l 1982 Lada Riva would thrash round the Nürburgring quicker than an 80 year old man, in a zimmer frame, recovering from a triple heart bypass and a particularly nasty bout of pneumonia. Doubtless true, but not much of a selling point.

11. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

until IE supports mouse gestures I am not interested

12. bb_vb

bb_vb What's a Dremel?

Not to nit-pick, but this doesn't appear to have anything to do with *GP*GPU; they're using GPUs for what they've always been for: graphics rendering. If they were doing real-time encryption, or video decoding, or physics simulation on the hardware then that would be GPGPU.

It's still cool though, and I imagine it will really spur the development of graphics-intensive online games etc.

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Now we just need 64bit flash for windows and we are all set..................

/*not holding breath*/

14. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

hmm is it possible that those results are achieved not by browser but with the fact that IE is using Direct X? if yes then we're locked to win platform, would make sense to use Open GL/CL - implement support in all browsers and run the test again :)

15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'm with you there. I'm a mouse gesture addict. FF 3.6 broke All-In-One Gestures and I am not happy!

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

imagine: Firefox + OpenGL/CL + multi-core support + all its plug-ins still work.......

well done MS, setting a very good example of how browsers should move towards, hardware-utilisation-wise.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So what if IE uses DX... it's not like IE has a massive market outside of the WIN world.
    I, for one, am happy that they're pushing hard. IE6 < IE7 < IE8, and hopefully, < IE9

Javascript rendering is really not everything. Bigger than that is HTML5/CSS3 capabilities.
    Lots of Javascript becomes obsolete with HTML5/CSS3. I'm no expert on the subject (i just toyed with basic CSS3), but there's a lot to be said about native HTML/CSS animations. Complete menus without touching Javascript, complex animation, 3D transformation.
    IMHO, all the guys going on about sheer Javascript power are wang-waving.

Safari is CSS3 king ATM. If IE9 can compete with that, or even offer up to FF levels of support, the web should become a better place quickly.
    Less Flash, Less Javascript.... that's just what the internet needs. And MS seems to be moving in that direction as well...

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

All-in-One gestures is heavy on CPU/MEM usage, use Firegestures.

19. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

I agree

:thumb:

20. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

The day when we can all use css3 and html5 is far away and it won't replace javascript. I'd rather would like to see M*soft to fully support standards at first then they can improve performance. it's real pain in the a*** to work as a web developer, to tweak code just for IE, but since most of the users are using IE there's no other option. I'd be happy if MS simply brings IE to the same level of standards support as other browsers

Tags: Add Tags