1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Illegal music downloads hit record levels in UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Aug 2007.

1. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

If someone had a service like AllOfmp3 where I could download any song for no more than $0.50 with no drm and I would buy heaps of stuff. At the moment I don't buy anything. The only time I have bought music online the restrictions ended up anoying me enough that I bought a copy of the CD so that I could rip it.

2. Ballos

Ballos What's a Dremel?

Firstly, I'm not sure if surveying 1700 out of 60 million gives you a particularly accurate representation. I realise that they have a sample from each age group but come on....

That aside, I'll give the reasons I don't purchase music online. Notice I said "online".

I completely agree with mmorgue.

If I buy something, regardless of what it is, then I want to be able to do with it as I please. Whether that means copying it from PC to flash memory to take to work, to my ipod (or other music device) or to NAS backup array then I should be able to do so when and as many times as I please.
    I want the quality to be the best possible (at least equal to or greater than CD) - i.e. a lossless format and it should have no DRM whatsoever, or include any personal information or be identifiable to me in any way.
    Online music prices also need to be drastically reduced inline with the setup costs for an album (digital music distribution costs a fair bit less than producing CD's, album artwork, traditional distribution, etc).

These are my terms of purchasing music online and until companies realise that the current business model is outdated, inflexible and removes control from the consumer, then I will continue to not purchase music online.
    I am quite happy to continue buying CD's for as long as they are available, though I also am a little peeved at the price of electronica CD's (Amon, I feel your pain too! :( ).

The record companies could do so well if they just sat up and listened.

Think if they did the above then those who were downloading illegal music might convert to buying the music instead and supporting the artists more. Such expensive CD’s could be no more if they made the content available online in lossless quality at a reasonable price with no DRM. Notice I said "might". If things stay as they are then the problem will only become exacerbated.

I admit I have a large amount of illegally downloaded music, and have done for years. I first started it when I was a student and couldn't afford to buy music as regularly as I used to but now I have a job I buy the CD's of the favourite albums I've downloaded.
    I also download new albums illegally to see if they are any good. Give me a week to listen to it enough and if I like it, I’ll buy the CD, otherwise DELETE.

I just hope that the UK government doesn't go the route of the RIAA and start suing everyone.

I sincerely doubt this will happen though as there would be a severe backlash from the public if old Granny Smith down the road got sued £5000 for allegedly downloading some illegal Marilyn Manson etc. etc. :rock:

Besides, if they started suing left right and centre, just watch how many people cut their broadband speeds back to the minimum and watch the bottom fall of the broadband market in the UK..... goodbye Broadband Britain! :hehe:

cjmUK – I feel for you mate – I’d have done exactly what you’re doing without any hesitation. :thumb:

Sadly, things won’t change for the consumer until the big cheeses start changing things at the helm of the music industry. :wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags