1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable I'm looking for a... netbook :O

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheepanator, 7 Jan 2010.

1. sheepanator

sheepanator lies i know what a dremmel is

dare i say it but i need a net book. yeah i need sommet to small to Carry around with me that has good battery life around the £300 mark under as much as you like though every little helps looking for a 12" screen or round abouts there. essentially i just want to know which is the best for my money.

i looked into it and the best ive seen so far for the money is Asus Eee PC 1101HA

what are your thoughts on wich is the best 11"+ note book on the market atm

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I got an acer aspire one from amazon for £250. 7hr battery life with surfing (been on it all day today), Single core atom N280, 1gb ram and 160gb HDD, it manages BBC iplayer alright. Car dealer webistes are slighly sluggish tho but they're insanely flash heavy. Screen is 9inch tho. New atom are due soon anyway and for £300 you could be looking at ion's which make a huge difference for video playback.

3. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

I've got a Samsung nc10, it has a 10.2" screen, and although that is smaller than 11" it is very easy to see. Also I have found it is efficient for surfing the internet and using IM and things. The specs are a single core atom N270, 1gb ram, 160gb HDD. It has a built in webcam as well, the only thing I'm not so keen on is that I think the touchpad is a bit small but other than that its a great netbook. You can get it for around £250-£300 depending on where you look.

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I won't make any recommendations apart from to wait 'til ION's more readily available if you care about video playback at all.

5. sheepanator

sheepanator lies i know what a dremmel is

i dont its mainly a word prosesor so i dont have to take notes though speed is a bonus of course the thing wth ion is it sevrery reduces the batery life wich is going to be more important.
    ive had a go on the samsung nc10 and the keyboard was to small so i looked into the nc20 but thats nearly £400.

the other one i was looking at was a aspire (with a 12 inch sceen) not sure wich one to go for as the asus is only £250

Thanks for all the advice all

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

maybe a Dell Mini 10v , you can choose it with Window or Ubuntu.

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I have one, and I also have the equivalent Acer 11" one... They're pretty much the same, main difference is the trackpad. Acer has a normal smooth one, Asus has a textured one. Whichever is cheaper is better.

8. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

they're not expensive at all, and Customizable as usual with Dell. 4 colors + Black + white

9. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Will the Ion improve flash websites? I can live without HD playback, but flash sites brining the thing to its knees can be maddening :wallbash:

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yes, definitely. just make sure you install Flash 10.1 or later, and nVidia driver 195 or later.

11. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

The mrs got an Acer Aspire One, really quite convenient. I like being able to just walk around with the netty in one hand, park myself wherever and run a quick google, or check mails etc. Very handy for basic internet.

12. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

Has any one had any experience with the Samsung N510? I'm thinking about grabbing one.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2010
  13. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

If you have trouble with the NC-10 keyboard, you will have trouble with all netbooks under 12" and all netbooks seem to follow the same formula... All you need to do is find a12" or 13" one and try it out in a store before you buy.

Alternatively, perhaps the CULV processors? They're faster and more efficient but are more expensive.

14. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

The new atoms are on the horizon (or already out, don't recall atm) so it might be worth it to check those out as they run a bit faster then the 1.6's (1.8 I hear, don't quote me on that). I got an aspire one and its been a dandy of a netbook. Granted this was before the long life batteries, so I got a off brand on there and it runs forever now. The new ones are nicer cause you don't have to take the thing apart to upgrade the basics.

Also if you've never used one of the mini keyboards don't worry, you'll get the hang of it pretty fast. :)

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Got an NC10 myself, and upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB almost instantly. I used it for a day with only 1GB and it was slow and sluggish, then after upgrading, zips about. I've recently installed 7 on it, and it's even quicker.

Sam

16. exavier412

exavier412 What's a Dremel?

Or OSX :)

17. bladerunner168

bladerunner168 What's a Dremel?

Alienware M11X

It's very expensive, very very expensive!

but MW2 @ 30fps in summat under 2KG (prolly 1.8?)

Again costs, sub US$1K (as Alienware keep on touting) means £850 here.

I'm going to sell my MSI GT725 to part finance this.:lol: