1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infra Red serial port kit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bursar, 18 Nov 2002.

1. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Does such a device exist?

Here is the dream device I'm after :D

Comes in two parts. One part connects to the serial port on the back of the PC, and the other connects to the serial port on the device.

Both parts are capable of sending and receiving data (so for instance, you could hook up a modem using it).

Would support upto 115.2 K/bits.

Perferably it doesn't require any tricky software to use, but drivers for XP are fine.

Range isn't much of a problem, I'd be able to provide it with line of sight between the two halves, and they'd be no more than a couple of feet apart.

So, does anyone know of a product that provides those features? I've been seraching on Google, but haven't come up with much.

I'm an electronics novice, so I think building such a device would be beyond me, but if the parts were cheap enough and the instructions clear enough, I could be tempted to give it a go.

Cheers.

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I would ask Meblin about this

3. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Will comment later when I have a second :D

Meblin

4. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Woohoo! :D Does this mean you know of a device that does the trick?

5. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Well maybe :naughty:

You can put an IrDA connector on your motherboard (if it supports IrDA) and it will talk to other IR devices such as mobile phones, other computers, etc...

I'm not sure of the data transfer rate but don't think it's as fast as you are looking for.

If you use IrDA you don't need any other software. What is the second device?

I haven't seen a serial device that can do this, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Bluetooth may be a device that may work.

Meblin

6. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

OK, well the plan was to hook up an external LCD screen to the IR kit.

By sticking an IR module on the back of the LCD and running it with a few batteries, I could make it wireless.

I guess it would be fine running at 9600, but I need an IR module that will connect to the PC and the LCD, and run communications in both directions between the screen and the PC.

That's the bit I'm having trouble with. Most of the IR things I've seen for PCs are really just receivers (so they'll accpet signals from a remote control). I need the PC end to send commands to the screen.

Any advice on doing this?

7. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

What motherboard do you have and where are you located?

I make IrDA connectors and as long as there is a signal present then the PC will pick it up. The problem you will get will be getting software to use it.

What's the LCD?

Meblin

8. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I'm in the UK, and I have an Intel D850EMV2. I don't currently have the LCD, as I'm planning and saving for the mod at the moment. I'm thinking of getting the Matrix Orbital LCD2041-WB, or possibly the LCD2041-WB-V.

I was planning on using LCDC to control the LCD.

At the moment all I really need to know is if it's possible. If it's not going to work, then I'll go for a wired solution.

9. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

I'll look on the Matrix orbital site and talk to Mat-d-Rat about LCDC

Meblin

10. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Well your mb doesn't have IrDA connector so that is out of the question.

I have looked at the LCD and now know your plan. One thing that you will need to consider is that the LCD needs a 5V or 12V supply. I'm not sure how long batteries would last to power it though. Next I make IR remote control kits for the serial ports but they can only receive data. They use the data carry pin as a power supply but I don't think this would work with the IrDA type sensors. You would aldo need a power supply for the IR sensor at the LCD end.

I think this is a mamouth task and I wish you luck :p

Meblin

11. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

12. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

That's the part that I use for my IrDA connector. I haven't tried to see if it will work on a serial connector as I haven't contemplated using it like that before.

A serial port is as follows:

Code:
       1 2 3 4 5       1 DCD (Data Carrier Detect)    5 Ground
       o o o o o       2 RXD# (Receive Data)          6 DSR (Data Set Ready)
        o o o o        3 TXD# (Transmit Data)         7 RTS (Request to Send)
        6 7 8 9        4 DTR (Data Terminal Ready)    8 CTS (Clear to Send) 
                                            9 RI (Ring Indicator)

Pin 2 would connect to RxD
    Pin 3 to TxD

You would then need a 5V supply at either end and the other components. I don't think JP1 is necessary except to fine tune. I have never put it into my IrDA connectors and they work fine.

You can get the components from RS. The most expensive part is the sensor (about £2.60ish each). The other parts ar relativly cheap at about 20p max for 10.

R1 is a 13 ohm 0.25W+ resistor, R2 is a 47 ohm 0.125W resistor, C1 is a 4.7 µF tantalum capacitor and C2 is a 0.1 µF ceramic capacitor.

I might give it a go, but then I did fry my last LCD :( so I might leave it to someone else to play with :hehe:

Meblin

13. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

This sounds like it's getting really complicated (for my brain anyway :p).

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for a wired solution.