1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Inline Volume Control w/ Cassette Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strudul, 31 Oct 2016.

1. Strudul

Strudul ~

I'm currently using a cassette adapter to connect my phone to my car stereo via a 3.5mm plug.

However, since it's going through the tape deck of the car, there is no way to control it (play / pause / skip track) without actually unlocking my phone and doing it that way (which isn't ideal while driving).

Would something like this give me control of my music if I use a F-F adapter to connect it to the M plug of the cassette adapter (or just splice it in)?

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

First of all I think it depends on whether your phone will accept in-line remotes, think it needs a four way 3.5mm jack.

Then whether the music app will accept inputs from an in-line remote. That amazon one says that track selection is on iPod/iPhone, giving the impression that it won't do that with anything else.

A quick google brings up this, which seems to suggest there's apps to tap into the feed from the remote and presumably chuck it over to the media app.

What phone is it?

Would it be easier just to get a new headunit? Even the cheap £15 chinese ebay ones with AUX/SD and USB are pretty good now, although they do require a little wiring. Halfords usually have a stereo with AUX for around £30-40 most of the time.

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

EC
    I beleive that's only volume control, but yeh, for £2.39 this one has the buttons I'm after.

Cerberus
    iPhone 5, so I know the phone itself works fine with in-line control (used it before with earphones).

It's more a case of whether they are compatible with the 3-pole connection of cassette adapters. I don't really know how in-line control works - I'm assuming it just needs to send a signal to the phone, so it doesn't matter what's on the other end.

Unfortunately I can't jailbreak my phone anymore, so the options of remapping the buttons isn't an option as far as I'm aware.

I am planning on upgrading the headunit (and rest of the system), but not gonna get round to it anytime soon.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'd connect the cassette adaptor to a cheap bluetooth to 3.5mm adaptor with volume/skip/play/pause control.

That way you can connect the phone wirelessly and use the adaptor in easy reach to control the music.
    Then you could also leave the bluetooth adaptor in the car, maybe permanently if it is connected to the cigarette lighter for power.

6. Strudul

Strudul ~

Never had much luck with Bluetooth streaming. The signal always drops out, and when it comes to music, even a split second of interruption every few minutes ruins it.