1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing OS on old laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Slim Slotloader, 19 Feb 2007.

1. Slim Slotloader

Slim Slotloader What's a Dremel?

Howdy doo, new user asking for some assistance.

The Case:
    Fujitsu LifeBook B142, a small laptop with 8,4" touchscreen and a celeron 300mhz processor

when i got it , it's harddrive had been upgraded to 60GB and memory to 160MB.

I'm planning to use it in my car as GPS navigator/MP3 storage/mobile internet.

The problem is tat it did not come with a OS, and the laptop does not come with a CD-ROM drive...tried hooking up a USB DVD drive, but it does not work: /

Also tried to install Ubuntu on it by taking out the harddrive and hooking it up to my my PC(had info on how to do it from another site), but this did nor work either :waah:

Preferable solution would be to get windows XP on it somehow, any ideas?

2. sackingz123

sackingz123 What's a Dremel?

boot up disk??? has floppy???

3. Slim Slotloader

Yes, it does have floppy.

Actually tried using a XP boot disk, but it failed for some reason at the end of installation process(might have screwed it up somehow)
    '
    Boot up disks are not too familiar to me. If i'll try again with the disks i have, what next? Will i be able to install the USB DVD drive in DOS and then run the XP CD?

Oh and will i have problems running XP while only having 160MB of RAM?

4. sackingz123

sackingz123 What's a Dremel?

160mb of ram is good, 64 is at least required so your good there

format your boot disks again, i had some problems b4 using them. so reformat them and load those again.

idk if it will able to read that usb dvd drive, it might , it might not, just give it a try.

5. Slim Slotloader

OK, thanks. Guess that will be tonights program :)

Oh, and what if it's not able to read the the DVD-drive, how do iget the rest of XP installed? As if i understood correctly, boot disks only contain part of the files needed?

6. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

To be fair, even with 160mb of RAM, you'd be better off with Windows 2000, your processor is the bare minimum for Windows XP, which means it won't exactly be a smooth experience.

My laptop is a pentium 2 300mhz with 192MB of RAM and a 6.4GB HDD.... it slows down to a crawl when doing anything on XP, now its gone to 2000 there's barely any slowdown.

I've no idea how you're gonna fix your laptops CD ROM problem, but when you do, don't shove XP on there.

7. Slim Slotloader

Oh bugger, guess i'll have to start hunting for a copy of win2000....a stupid question, but is it possible to copy that CD, if i find one, on floppies?

and how many would i need, 500? :)

8. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

When you say the USB CDROM doesn't work, do you mean nothing interesting at all happens and the computer acts as though the drive isn't even connected, or do you mean the installation works partway and then hangs?

If it's the first option, your laptop might actually be too old to boot from CD, let alone boot from USB. You'll have to make a startup floppy and boot from that, which will eventually leave you sitting at a DOS prompt for A:\>. Then, switch to the CD drive by typing 'D:' (it could be something else but if you only have one hard drive partition D is likely) and start the installation by typing setup.exe.

9. Slim Slotloader

It's the first option; acts as if the USB drive isn't connected. I guess you're right about it being to old.

Will have to try getting it run with your advices as soon as i get hold of a copy of w2k, thanks for your help :)

10. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

you could try like a pxe boot or something like that.
    or do like a ghost.. install windows on a machine and then use something like norton ghost to make a ghost of it, and then boot from the floppy and ghost it back on the lappy over the ethernet.

11. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Remove the hard drive, plug it into a desktop PC and install that way. When the windows installer gets to the point of rebooting for the first time, shutdown and transfer the hard drive back. Thats what I did with my old laptop when I was in similar situation.

12. Slim Slotloader

Cool, thanks for the info! :)