1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Installing other OS on C: drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by kazama, 16 Dec 2009.

1. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

hi,

i am planning to install linux on my laptop(sony). it has hidden partition to do the recovery process for win vista. I just want to know if i install linux on my C: drive, am i capable to do recovery process on my C: drive? it is because the recovery process need C: drive to make it work. Also i read a bit the recovery process, it need vista boot loader to make it work. Anyone have this experience on this?

2. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I'm not certain on any of the questions you've asked so I will reserve my answers and allow others to answer instead; how ever, do you have a specific Linux Distro chosen? If not might i suggest something like Windoes Ubuntu Installer; it allows you to install Ubuntu much like a program, but then will duel boot along side your current OS.

This will then allow you to run Linux without having to worry about your recovery partition or getting rid of Windows.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

+1 for WUBI.

Its awesome for laptops if you want to keep the original OS installed. I had it on my NC10 netbook.

4. simonw

simonw What's a Dremel?

WUBI should be fine, it only modifies the WIndows boot loader to include Ubuntu as an OS choice, so you should still be able to restore Vista should you need to.

Probably not a good idea to do a clean install of a Linux distro as it will most likely overwrite the Windows boot loader with its own (which is GRUB).