1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Installing Windows with a USB Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Software' started by trueno!, 20 Jul 2010.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Hi all, I have been looking around for ways of installing windows from a USB stick and found a few sites to help... BUT, I haven't got a USB memory stick, so, I'm here asking for anyone who cud recommend me a good & fast dirt cheap one (which will definitely work for my use) that I can buy? It's recommended that minimum is 2GB, so, recommendations shud be restricted to that size unless 4GB is affordable...

All the sites say that I must have a bootable type USB memory stick to be able to install windows from one... is that right or wrong? I thought all I needed was that my mobo supported bootable USB function?

Thanks for the helps (in advance) ^_^

Last edited: 20 Jul 2010
  2. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Firstly I think this should be in Hardware, not Software.

Secondly, to be perfectly honest pretty much any USB stick should be fine for the job, I have used both generic and a Corsair Survivor USB sticks for the purposes of a OS install in the past and had no problems.

EDIT: Double post? http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=191236

3. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Yeah I thought this would be best in the hardware section which is what I also done straight after this post and have had my first reply there too...

So, you say that a cheap less than £5 2GB USB memory stick will do the job?... However, I'm unsure whether these sticks are any faster than DVD windows installs... Comments?

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Has to be more than 4gb i.e an 8gb stick from what I've read.

5. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I didn't need to use more than 4GB when I did any of mine.

To be perfectly honest unless you spend a lot of money on a really fast stick and have a fast drive you really won't see much difference in overall speed.

6. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

Hello,

I recently installed XP onto a laptop with no drive (it was ripped out) long story... anyway, if you visit this website, download the app and run it, browse to where the cd/dvd is for the O/S and jobs a good one.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Corsair Voyager GT sticks are fast, particulary the 8GB one. As are OCZ Rally 2 sticks.

8. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

I used wintoflash as well but for Linux I use Universal USB Installer, both good programs.