1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by GAVI, 15 Mar 2012.

1. GAVI

GAVI What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking of getting a new bike and would like to go for a 1000 cc but I've been told that being 21 years old I'd probably have to pay a high premium for such a bike based on my age. Right now Im thinking just about it as I dont know whether Im going to go back to uni (if I do I don't want to buy it to have it rotting while I'm away) so I don't really want to go in for a quote just yet. Also I'm not in the UK so getting one online isn't possible as they ask for addresses, phone numbers etc and I can't find a site that allows me to get a quote for my local branch.

However, I just want an estimate really and am assuming there shouldn't be too much of a difference based on what you have in the UK so...

What sort of premium do you think I could be looking at? As I said I'm 21 looking at a 1000 cc bike. Rough estimates are fine and if it's based on similar experiences even better.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Giving a rough estimate would be very hard as the factors that generate a quote are different for almost everyone who get a quote.

Insurance prices vary hugely depending on our individual circumstances but mainly on your age, no claims bonus, where in the UK you will be living and where the bike is stored (street/driveway/garage/secure parking).

3. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Just enter any random business address/number from the area you going to live in lifted from google maps into a comparison site and then fill out the likely details of your situation.

4. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

Depending on the area if you have no no-claims and a licence for a short period of time with a 1000cc sports bike expect £1k+ easily.

The question is why a 1000cc? With a tiny underpowered 600cc bike I can cruise on the motorway and break every other speed limit in first whilst out accelerating almost any car out there. 1000cc bikes are boring on the road - after all it is better to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow but maybe that's just me.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2012
  5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Agree with aradreth. Expect 1k+

My VFR 800, 3rd party fire and theft only, I'm 24 and in my first year of riding, in a very safe area, £650 a year. Ouch.

What kind of litre bike are you thinking of? If it's sports, just don't bother, waste of time on the road and you'll have a lot more fun on a 600 and it'll be just as quick. The only possible scenarios I see valid for a litre bike is a semi tourer like a CBR XX blackbird and alike, or the nice bigger BMW enduro style bikes. If the latter, insurance is probably not your worry as the bikes cost so much to start with.

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I can only echo the points above, a litre bike is faintly ridiculous, unless it's a big tourer of some kind. The insurance companies will rape you for a litre bike, though the age of the bike and how much fairing it has will affect the premium a fair bit.

7. GAVI

GAVI What's a Dremel?

I dont really WANT a litre bike but I've fallen in love with the MV Agusta F4 (with those 4 exhausts) bu,t while the bike itself is expensive, for me it's one thing to pay a lot for bike and another thing entirely for the insurance especially if it's going to be down to my age and Ive never had any accidents in a car or bike (on record) that were my fault. In fact just one accident that wasn't my fault.

Anyway I've tried some of the comparison websites with made up data personal data reflecting my driving experience etc but came up with no quotes.

I think I could consider £1000 if I could expect it to decrease reasonably over the next couple or so years so I might just call up for a quote.

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Gavi, if you are seriously planning on getting the F4, you need to have good talk with yourself. You're 21, there's no way you have the ability or experience to ride a bike of that size or power.

You're quote could quite easily be £1500+. You're not insuring yourself really, more the damage you're likely to cause to everyone else. You've also stated that you've supplied false details to the comparison sites, so how do you expect to get a realistic quote? Having said this, the fact you've got no quotes back probably means that for a bike like that you're too much of a risk.

Go and have a talk with yourself over at what age you want to be in a coffin. If it's 80+, find a new bike.

9. aradreth

Expect quotes of £2k+ for an MV F4 after all it is an exotic superbike.... Plus if you are able to afford to buy (£9k+ for a bike second hand) and maintain one the cost of insurance isn't going to be an issue.

Oh and don't forget insurers only consider you only have a full motorcycle after you are upgraded to the unrestricted licence.

10. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I cannot agree with this more. I don't have much to add, I was 21 once as well, but Gav, unless you've been racing for the last few years then you shouldn't be anywhere near that bike.

11. GAVI

GAVI What's a Dremel?

What I meant by the insurance thing was false email, telephone numbers etc. The driving experience etc I tried to make reflect me as much as possible.

Yeah I understand what you're all saying but it's just such a nice bike.

I've looked at the F3 which also makes me drool though I would like it even more if it had the four exausts at the back like the F4. So the F3s down to 675. Do you think that's still too much of a jump?

12. aradreth

You haven't stated what you currently ride so we can't say if it is too much of a jump.

13. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

That also depends *hugely* on the rider too.

I've seen kids that could wring the neck of whatever Ducati/Yamaha/Kwak/Honda/Suzuki's latest and greatest is, and make it work for it's keep, and I've also seen blokes who have been riding for 20+ years that really should be allowed on anything other than an asthmatic cruiser.

14. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

my friends CBR 1100XX costs him £1,700 per year and he's 28 :)

15. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

You'll die before the insurance cost becomes an issue! Unless you have some sort of race experience that you haven't mentioned, this is a REALLY bad idea...

I've only been riding 6 months but have put about 10K miles down. Rode a mate's Ducati 999 the other day, and it was literally terrifying. One slip of the throttle or not quite paying attention and I would be dead. The same would apply to a F4.

16. aradreth

My 675 is scary enough if you aren't careful to be honest (wheelies in 1st and 2nd off the throttle and the rear wheel comes off the ground under hard breaking... throw in a bit of head shake in under hard acceleration for good measure). I'd hate to think what a litre sportsbike would do if you aren't paying attention.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Just do as mucgoo says, this will at least let you know within a small margin of error.