1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Integrated Intel Wireless-AC Support (CNVi) ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ice Tea, 26 May 2018.

1. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Can someone explain in simple idiot terms what it is and why the Z370 doesn't have it?

Thanks

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

What it is

Z370 doesn't have it because in their rush to get Coffee Lake out the door they just scribbled out '270' and wrote '370' on the chipset... all of the 'proper' 3xx chipsets, like H370, support it [on paper at least iirc], as will Z390 which is basically what should've been the Z370 chipset had intel not rushed it out.

Last edited: 26 May 2018
  3. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

It seems they have just re-branded a lot of stuff as the i3 8100 is Kaby Lake S instead of a Coffee Lake.

Thanks for the info on the Z370 as i need a Motherboard and wasted time looking at them so i'll pass on it and either get a B360 or a Z390 but i'm guessing the 390 is over the top for a i3 8100 just browsing the web.

Any idea if the CNVi can be permanently disabled in the Bios as it's something i would never use and don't want it beaconing.

*edit*

Just found on Google that only part of the Wi-Fi is moved to the CPU so you'll still need a module plugged into the board to activate it which is good news if you don't need it.

Last edited: 26 May 2018
  4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No, the quad-core Coffee Lake dies are physically different from the Kaby Lake-R dies (e.g. different metal pitch).

5. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake

Some of the information online must be incorrect.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The only sources I can find for that un-cited Wikipedia line are sites that rehost Wikipedia articles.

::EDIT:: The closest I can find is one russian article that used SiSoft Sandra on a pre-released part that identified it as Kaby Lake. SiSoft Sandra also identified the 6-core parts as Kaby Lake, so it's more likely they were just not using an updated version of Sandra.

7. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Apparently with a Bios hack the i3-8100 runs on a H110 board and the i3-8350K runs on a Z170 board so maybe that's where the idea is coming from that they are Kaby Lakes?