1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel DG965 Westchester release date???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rgkgraphix, 21 Jul 2006.

1. rgkgraphix

rgkgraphix What's a Dremel?

Well newegg has the Intel P965 in stock today. I was about to jump on it but I checked the Intel roadmap and there are several other boards that are suppose to be coming out. Dailytech reported the Intel DG965WH (westchester) is supposed to "Launch" the second week of August. In this case does the word "launch" mean... available to the public, as in I can go to the store and buy it. Or does it mean Intel will officialy say, "Hey we are going to make this board."?

I did a search for it and I come up with nothing, so I'm basically trying to figure out should I buy the P965 now, or wait for the DG965.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

DailyTech is probably referring to an Intel motherboard based on the G965 chipset - I've not heard of a 'DG' version of the 965 chipset.

3. rgkgraphix

Well let me ask this... In the past, has the only major differences between Intel's Classic MB and Media Series MB is the media series has, 8 channel audio, RAID support and an extra SATA's?

here is the article I was reading:
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3063

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

the P965 boards are the performance-orientated boards and the ones that you're likely to want. Any board you look at should have 8ch HD Azalia Audio, RAID etc.

Q965 is for business (vPro) and G965 is for Media PCs (Viiv) - both of these have integrated grpahics.

You can read more about the chipset variants here: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/06/08/intel_announces_965_express_chipset/

I think you're going to want a P965 motherboard though (they're the boards targetted at the mainstream enthusiast).

5. rgkgraphix

Thanks Tim
    The board that was just released has a 6 channel SigmaTel STAC9227. Not really a big deal to me considering I only use 2 speakers and a sub. I was basically concerned that I wasn't picking up a bottom of the line board. This will be my first Intel build so I'm trying to figure out how they do things. I was hoping for the front I/O box and extra firewire and 2 more SATA's but the price is right for me. I'll probably get the i/o box off ebay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813121035

6. rgkgraphix

ahhh...okay...no I don't want integrated graphics.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

P965 should suit you fine - there's no IGP included on that chipset