1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel resumes shipping of faulty Sandy Bridge chipsets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

more than happy to sit and wait, im only using 2 ports anyway plus even if i used more it wouldnt make a difference in the next couple of months, my plan is is to pay the extra needed on top to exchange for a z68 board (possibly)

3. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Just abit of a pain really, I'd consider just leaving it, if i only had one HDD on my p8p67 deluxe but I'm currently using all but one. meh.

Edit: Just seen the comment above, might be worth trying to upgrade to a z68 board, could be a decent choice if not better in the long run, if were able to.

4. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I'm thinking on doing the same thing, i'll pay a little extra and get the Z68 chipset...

5. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

I've been affected and my P8P67 Pro might actually be faulty somewhere else (I'm getting CPU errors).
    I can't wait for a revised chipset as the system is unusable.
    With boards pulled out of most shops (including the one whjere I ordered mine) it looks like it's gonna be a real pain to get it replaced by another non revised board.

6. biFFon

biFFon What's a Dremel?

Will just be making do with the 2 6GB ports for the time being.

There's always something newer and shiny round the corner to upgrade to...

7. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

To my understanding of the SB chipset fault, it relates to SATA devices and that they might degrade over time when plugged into the 3GB ports (an estimated 5%-15% over 3 years, however some more and others less, as the estimate is based on a probability distribution). I'm not sure how the CPU errors you mention have anything to do with the chipset issue as described by Intel.

8. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

He wasn't saying that his problem was to do with the chipset issue discussed but that he had this problem on top of it. Because of the SATA problem he can't get the board replaced as they've all been pulled, yet in the meantime his system is out of action.

9. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Exactly !
    Thank you :)

10. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Bad move, IMHO. I understand it from a cash perspective, but this will sully the Sandy bridge line further.

11. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I've had p8p67 pro issues too. The half the SATA ports don't work, I get blue screens jumping at me out of nowhere every few days and I can't hibernate without crashing. :grr:

12. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

If someone is really interested in P/H67 now then I don' t get it at all. Like I said many times X58 was better option all along. And with all that mix-ups and X/Y/Z68 due in around 6 months time why do you need 67? Unless you don't care about money at all, why would you invest into architecture which will be soon dead anyway? [it is nearly dead right now with all that Total Recall]. It should be obligatory for Intel, shipping a free sata card with every new - possibly affected - motherboard.

I'm fairly confident that many X58 owners will not switch to X68 unless it will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster in everyday work - benchmarks are for nerds/showing off only. At the moment "poor old" X58 is perfect for everything from every day PC, through gaming/folding/oc rig, up to powerful A/V workstations & servers. LGA 1155(6) will never achieve that because of limited bandwidth available.

If you buying PC now forget intel-67, go with X58. It is established on the market, there is plenty of cheap boards which do exactly same things as top of the line models without many useless additions. And most important there is plenty of fuel in the tank for i7 9xx CPUs.

13. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Except that a very tiny portion of tasks require the bandwidth that triple channel memory provides. Throw in P67 and I assume Z67's ability to clock memory independent of everything else, and you can get a dual channel 2133 kit for about the same price as a triple channel 1600 kit, and close to the same agregate bandwidth.

You have native SATA 6gbps support, much faster processors, etc, etc, etc. Yeah benchmarks are for weenies...but the sandy bridge processors are just plain faster clock for clock and have higher clock speeds available, seem to over clock better and consume less power.

Yeah, sounds like H/P/Z67 has nothing going for it except allowing those Sandy bridge processors which happen to be >>> first gen i3/5/7.

14. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Hakuren, maybe you'll understand my position if I tell you
    - I'm upgrading from a Q6600
    - 1366 platforms are more expensive
    - 1156 platforms are now useless
    - 1155 is a lot more power efficient than 775/1156/1366 especially when overclocking
    - I upgraded before the SATA fiasco came to light

15. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

I'd really like to get an H57 motherboard next month when the new i3s come out, but I doubt I will do it unless they send out the revised mobo first to customers so I can do a mobo-swap on the same day. Unlikely that will happen and I'd rather do without the weeks of downtime.

Also, the Sales of Goods act may not apply to me if I willingly purchase a product that is known to be defective. Too much of a risk really.

16. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Holding on to my i5 760 just a wee while longer, cost an arm and a bleedin leg just to upgrade to this.

17. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

I explained my situation to asus, here's what they replied:

In response to email 8-2-2011.
    We are unable to refund or replace your mother board.
    As advised in the previous email, please return to your point of purchase.

So I might be stuck with a faulty mobo (other than just sata) since pixmania doesn't sell the P67 boards anymore.,Unable to ask for a refund, or get it swapped for a SATA defective model ... that's just awesome, I'll need to buy another defective mobo (provided scan.co.uk doesn't run out) to fix my issues :(

Will need to talk to pixmania but it's not looking good.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2011
  18. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

im starting my first build, if i buy a motherboard now, and then get it replaced when the fix is issued, am I right in thinking i will have to re-install windows? how much work does that entail?

19. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

No you should be able to just drop in your hard drive on the new motherboard.
    I moved from 775 to 1155 keeping the same windows install without any issue. Windows was looking for new drivers when it first booted, I installed them and that was it.

It's usually better and cleaner to reinstall but it's not really a requirement.
    Windows migth need to be reactivated though.

20. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

which copy of windows is best for that? the oem is cheaper right?

Tags: Add Tags