1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Intel SSD running in IDE mode

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by rogerrabbits, 8 Jun 2011.

1. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Hi all I just upgraded my PC. Got a new motherboard with RAM and CPU, and then installed my old Gfx card, sound, and hard disks.

Everything is perfect! Apart from one thing. When I do the windows performance test thingy, it gives my SSD a low score. I checked and I think it is running in IDE mode. I have AHCI enabled in my BIOS but that doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone know a way to make it start working as AHCI? I would rather not reformat it if possible.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Is there any mention of AHCI in the device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section? and if you view by connection is the SSD connected via it?

Most modern motherboards have 2 disk controllers, usually designated by different coloured ports, both of which will have the option to run in AHCI mode but they may not be on the same page in the bios.

3. rogerrabbits

Thanks for the reply! It says I have an AHCI controller in that section, and when I did view by connection, it shows the SSD working in that controller too.

The only other information I have is that it still comes out as slow in the Windows Experience test. All the components are in the high 7's, apart from the Primary Hard Drive which is only 5.9.

Although when I try to perform the test now, it gives me an error saying the score can't be computed due to a fault with a driver. All drivers are latest btw.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2011
  4. Deders

Deders Modder

Which MB do you have?

5. rogerrabbits

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3, Intel P67

The disk seems fast actually. But I have no real reference point so I'm just going off what these things tell me.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Sometimes the Intel chipset driver doesn't properly detect all the hardware, might be worth re-installing it with the -overall switch.

7. rogerrabbits

Oooh Ok thanks! That is very likely actually because I made this computer in a weird way, transporting hard disks and stuff.. I will try that now. Thank you for all the help so far by the way.

8. rogerrabbits

Just got the latest chipset driver from the intel website and installed it, didn't seem to help :( I managed to fix the test though, so that is working again now. Still gives everything 7's apart from the disk which is 5.9.

edited: Gah I didn't use that overall switch. Will try that now. :p

9. Deders

Deders Modder

strange, the disk score is usually only limited by 4kb access that spinning disks are poor at and SDD's are far better with.

What does it say for 4kb reads and writes if you benchmark the disk with Argus Monitor?

Once installed, go to the HD S.M.A.R.T. page and after selecting the SDD you should find the benchmark in the menu that comes up after you click the extended button.

10. rogerrabbits

Nice tool! Says BUS: SATA and this test:

[​IMG]

Here is some of the stuff from more information:

Drive Controller: ATA Channel 0
    Interface: SATA
    TRIM Command: Supported

Last edited: 8 Jun 2011
  11. Deders

Deders Modder

Well that seems healthy, does it match any other benchmarks for your SDD model?

Have you got any way of checking if trim is enabled?

Perhaps the windows performance test is using your hard disk instead of your SDD to benchmark from. if you go to disk management in computer management (right click my computer and select manage), which disk appears as disk 0?

12. rogerrabbits

That's it! I have another (mechanical) disk in 0, and my SSD is number 1. Any idea how I can change that?

p.s. Just checked and I have trim enabled.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

As far as I know that would be the order the bios assigns them, you could try making sure that the SDD is in the lowest numbered port on your MB, but you may have booting issues if the boot loader is looking for disk 0 and doesn't find what it is expecting. Worth a try though, you can always swap it back.

If that doesn't work then you may want to re-install with the SSD in the lowest port, but tbh the windows score isn't exactly vital.

14. rogerrabbits

Ok cool, thank you so much for all your help! I will probably do that next time I open the case, but for now I think I'll just enjoy it and I can stop worrying :)