1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Interceptor case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nitrixflare, 1 Jan 2011.

1. Nitrixflare

Nitrixflare Building and engineering enthusiast

Okay so here it goes. If you’re from The Mod Brothers Forums, you’d probably noticed that I’ve started earlier, but I have to admit, that was a really bad start. The workplace is a mess, the planning was a mess, literally everything was in bad shape. So i’ve decided to clear up my room (partially because my younger brother is going back to school soon so the table has to be tidy), and begin anew.

Removed

The table’s a lot neater. Let’s begin shall we?

I’ve got a Cooler Master Elite 335 to work with, and I’ve dismantled it. Some of you may know, the front, bottom, and back and totally made out of one piece of stamped steel. In my opinion that would have been a good idea if we were building a case, but now we need to dismantle it. So unfortunately, I had to use a dremel to cut up the three sides. Sorry I don’t have a photo of that. But the cuts were rough so I won’t be using those panels, but using them for reference when I transfer them over to my cutouts.

Here’s a very vague drawing of my the finishing product, but it’s in my mind, so it is a blurry visualization. Like they say, nobody knows what’s in your brain. I’d try my best.

Removed

It’s supposed to be a regular box pc, but I drew it free hand so it might look kind of distorted. I don’t have enough time to make a rendering out of Cinema 4D for it anymore.

Okay, I’m going to begin with the somewhat easier parts. I’ve trimmed off the edge of the 5.25″ rack on top, and I’ve enlarged the holes with a round file so that I can fit in M4 screws. By the way the M4 screws I’m using are purchased from Daiso, stainless steel.

Removed

They’re of excellent quality, but they do come with quite a hefty price tag though once you take in account of the quantity.

Moving on, my friend does not require the 2.5″ bays, so I’m going to use the mounting holes to affix four support rods as this rack itself feels pretty filmsy.

Removed

(side note: I previously used these minus head screws, which came from electrical connectors. For the price it’s very cheap, but it simply didn’t have the desired aesthetics.)

So as said, I’d probably begin with the support rods first, I don’t own a lathe so I’d have to make a trip to the workshop in my school to get them done. More updates coming soon!

Nitrixflare

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jan 2011
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome. Please replace the pictures with ones more internet favourable and you'll be fine. :) (i.e. 3500px wide is not OK ;)) The thread title was unnecessarily long - you can put the link in your signature once you have 10 posts. :thumb:

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Don't feel bad about it, just get it fixed quickly so we can see your Modding skillzz! :)

4. Nitrixflare

repost

sorry guys i faced that problem in the Mod Brothers forums as well. I'll repost again with smaller photos.

Okay so here it goes. If you’re from The Mod Brothers Forums, you’d probably noticed that I’ve started earlier, but I have to admit, that was a really bad start. The workplace is a mess, the planning was a mess, literally everything was in bad shape. So i’ve decided to clear up my room (partially because my younger brother is going back to school soon so the table has to be tidy), and begin anew.
    [​IMG]
    The table’s a lot neater. Let’s begin shall we?

I’ve got a Cooler Master Elite 335 to work with, and I’ve dismantled it. Some of you may know, the front, bottom, and back and totally made out of one piece of stamped steel. In my opinion that would have been a good idea if we were building a case, but now we need to dismantle it. So unfortunately, I had to use a dremel to cut up the three sides. Sorry I don’t have a photo of that. But the cuts were rough so I won’t be using those panels, but using them for reference when I transfer them over to my cutouts.

Here’s a very vague drawing of my the finishing product, but it’s in my mind, so it is a blurry visualization. Like they say, nobody knows what’s in your brain. I’d try my best.
    [​IMG]
    It’s supposed to be a regular box pc, but I drew it free hand so it might look kind of distorted. I don’t have enough time to make a rendering out of Cinema 4D for it anymore.

Okay, I’m going to begin with the somewhat easier parts. I’ve trimmed off the edge of the 5.25″ rack on top, and I’ve enlarged the holes with a round file so that I can fit in M4 screws. By the way the M4 screws I’m using are purchased from Daiso, stainless steel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They’re of excellent quality, but they do come with quite a hefty price tag though once you take in account of the quantity.

Moving on, my friend does not require the 2.5″ bays, so I’m going to use the mounting holes to affix four support rods as this rack itself feels pretty filmsy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (side note: I previously used these minus head screws, which came from electrical connectors. For the price it’s very cheap, but it simply didn’t have the desired aesthetics.)

So as said, I’d probably begin with the support rods first, I don’t own a lathe so I’d have to make a trip to the workshop in my school to get them done. More updates coming soon!

Nitrixflare

5. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

You could just edit your first post:)

6. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

hey cut him some slack. :) it's his 2nd post.

We will be looking forward to what you will show us Nitrixflare.

7. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

you guys are harsh :eyebrow:

keep up the pace nitrix. personally, i love the look of cap head screws :clap:

8. tkgclimb

tkgclimb man it's all harder than it looks

ME TOO,

funny thing is, when I went to buy mine stainless was CHEAPER than plain old black oxide, to bad I needed black.

looking good

9. Nitrixflare

Small update

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I’m getting things done at a slow pace, but I’m trying to make progress nevertheless. I want to get this done by March or April.

I screwed up on cutting the edge of the drive rack, when I used a pair of snips I ended up with sharp serrated edges like so:

[​IMG]

Can anyone kindly advise me on how should I solve this problem? It’s very filmsy, even filing it is hard. So any other suggestions?

With that problem blocking my way, I guess I’ll have to move on to other parts first. I did a quick rendering, though the back PCI-E mounting cutout is a little low because I imported the model from my previous revision of the render.

[​IMG]

The blue part in the model is actually a “U” shape for structural integrity and save costs on material. I’ll see if I have enough money and go buy a length of “L” beams to make 90 degree brackets. The front and back of the case are entirely made each from a piece of MNPCTech modders’ mesh, 24″ by 12″. I’m still waiting for that package to arrive (hopefully by tomorrow). So before that I’ll get cracking with the bottom (which holds the power supply) and the back of the case first.

Nitrixflare

10. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

a high speed metal grinder/cutoff wheel of any sort would take care of that edge pretty easily. sanded to finish.

11. G-Dubs

G-Dubs New Member

As above or if you don't have that tool then clamp it in a vice between some sturdy bits of wood so that only the smallest amount of metal is showing to add strength and rigidity and then file it.

12. Nitrixflare

Thanks for the advice guys.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Lovely Nitrix, thanks for accepting our requests on your sig and pics :thumb:

14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If you don't have a vice, but have a couple of clamps you can still clamp up a couple of bits of wood either side and use the same technique. Plus it'll give you a good guide line to work to.

15. that_du^de

that_du^de give your head a wobble

i can see where you went wrong with the snips,looks like you used left hand snips on the right side(that will give you the sharks teeth look!) snips come in 3 makes left hand,right hand and straight cut. also your cuting 0.5mm-0.7mm steel so you will get a sheer edge"rolloff" on the cut so you will need to file and sand the part to your needs. another tip when using snips is the part your cuting off should roll up and away from you in a nice coil but dont try to take to much of in one go (2-3mm max) as the more you try to cut off the harder it is to cut. as g- dubs and jeff said you need a vice or some way to clamp the part down as this will make it easy to control the finishing. hope this helps.

16. Nitrixflare

Preparation work

wow thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'm going to ditch one bay, so I'll use a dremel to slice it neat. :)

Today I received my package from MNPCTech, a package of Modders’ Mesh. The stuff is pretty rigid, good stuff! I’m using the round hole mesh.

[​IMG]

This mesh will be bent to form the front and back of the case respectively.

Also today I spent quite some time out of the house, I went to the industrial park to get some “L”-shaped beams. I bought a metre of that stuff, if i knew it’s price tag earlier, i would have bought more, since the shop is two bus stops away from my school, which is really convinient.

[​IMG]

I’ve marked out the lines and holes in order to make a couple of brackets. Wait.. a couple is an understatement. I’m going to tap the holes to M4, which means.. (lots of cutting; can spare that with a jigsaw though, lots of drilling, lots of tapping; the most frustrating part, not looking forward to it)

I’ll begin making the brackets this coming Wednesday in school, then I’ll be away for a short break of three days with my classmates, I can’t update then since I would not have internet connection. Have a good time modding guys!

Nitrixflare

17. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome New Member

Nice start.....

Well, thats all i can give you when you ditch modding for school! Screw education :lol:

Nah, i'm just kidding. Keep up the good work when you come back

18. Nitrixflare

Heh I've graduated already, it's just a couple of things going on. The school's Design and Technology department is very familiar with me, so I get to drop in and out of the workshop. :)

19. sc0ontz

sc0ontz I'm a modder... I guess... :D

looks nice... i would really love to see the photos in the first post... keep it up bro!

20. KRQKAN

KRQKAN New Member

Keep it up! Loooks promesing so far :D