1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Internet Media Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiggyman, 30 May 2005.

1. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

I'm looking at setting up a media server, but one that can go over the internet. Primarily for MP3's would be its use. I've looked at programs like SlimServer or Apache but can't really get them to work too well. Any recommendations on programs to use would be great. Or any advice, please help.
    Thanks - Chiggy

2. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

Okay there's many ways to do it.

Here's the best way I found (BTW, I have MUSIC CD'S that I BROUGHT for all my MP3. There are pure legal and I NEVER SHARE THEM)

1) Setup a VPN server if you have Windows XP and share the folder that has music etc.
    2) From the remote computer, DIAL in to the VPN Server using Windows VPN connection
    3) Once connected, Access the computer like \\computername from internet explorer
    4) See if you can see the shared music folders.
    5) Open Winamp and add the shared music folders into the playlist

And voila you got yourself music. You'll need ATLEAST 384Kbps(40KB/s) to acheieve good audio quality.

The second method is to set your computer to accept remote desktop conenctions and remote desktop in.

3. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

Any other solutions, id prefer something that has a web based front end preferably, or that i could stream to windows media player, and no i cant save a playlist file from windows media cus all my music is organised by iTunes. If i wanted to access it from somewhere with restricted access like my school, or a library it means no VPN connections or remote acess.

Tags: