1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Inverter Noise???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Medic6666, 30 Jun 2002.

1. Medic6666

Medic6666 What's a Dremel?

I have some blue string light thingy stuff.......

The inverter is making a loud whining noise and I can't get it to stop....

Is there anything I can do to stop the noise..??

Cheers

Medic6666

2. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

:: hold onto your hats ::
    :: moving to modding ::

i think it'll get a better reception in modding, but i think Spike sorted his by putting in a box... although some ppl believe whining invertors are faulty...

3. K

K 528491

I dunno these hardware like questions! Sounds electronic like to me :D

Moving to Electronics methinks.

EDIT :: Beat me to it Alaric, but I still think it should go to Electronics. Cause. Y'know, I'm right and you ain't.

:D

4. Slink

Slink B7

If its anything like the light strips, Tweakmonster told me to just wrap the invertor box in some leccy tape

So i did:rolleyes:

5. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

I've seen em dipped in some rubberizer. But I'd worry about heat doing that. Just put a delta fan on your hsf and you wont notice that inverter anymore :D

6. benje

benje Minimodder

OhhhhHH sounds like you got a WELL DODGEY inverter, could be a health hazard you know. I tell ya what, considering im ya mate an' all, send it (along with the neon) over to me and i'll make it all better for ya :D

7. Medic6666

yeah right

I know you :p

How about you send me 100 billion dollars and I might not blow the world up.

;)

8. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

well i figured they played with funny things like PICs and transistors in electronics ... and i figured everyone in modding had a cathode and therefore invertors... and so could help
    besides to get it to stop sounds like making a box ;)

i r teh win4r :D

9. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

well I just bought some uber cheap el wire today from target here in the USA and surely enough my inverter whined. Notice I said whined. For about 2.5 seconds. Then the inside of the inverter(it was clear blue casing) became rather smoky with white fumes. My inverter no long whines nor produces power to light the el wire, a trip back to target and a talk with the owner of the place will soon solve this. So u think whining inverters has anything to do with defective inverters?

10. linear

linear Minimodder

Mostly the inverters whine. Even working properly. I've only seen one inverter design that didn't whine. And it's a really small one suitable only for a little bit of EL.

11. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

maybe ure right but this one definetly had something wrong with it.

12. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

From what I'm reading the amount of whine is directly proportional to the quality of the inverter. Although my friend has 3 cold cathodes from the local auto parts store and they don't whine, at least they don't whine louder than the delta on his hsf :D

13. linear

linear Minimodder

It might be tempting to jump to that conclusion. But here's some things to think about.

1) By no means are all inverters designed the same. There are tradeoffs (cost, size, efficiency) with every design, so every manufacturer's inverter could be different. Beware of generalizations.

2) With EL in particular, the load can vary widely--the lamp looks like a capacitor to the inverter, and changing the size of the lamp (trimming your string or cutting your strip) will cahnage the load seen by the inverter. Some inverters won't even fire up with a reduced load attached. Again, this is a function of the inverter design.

3) The optimal drive frequency for EL is in the range of 400-1600 Hz. This is in audio range, which is a potential problem. CCFL inverters often run at 5-20 kHz. You normally shouldn't hear a CCFL inverter. I'm willing to accept "a noist CCFL inverter is likely to be defective," but not "a noisy EL inverter is likely to be defective."

14. relix

relix Minimodder

Re: yeah right

it's 100 biiiiiiillion dollars

lol

15. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

my ones tiney and does 5 foot of string. :)

[​IMG]

However one of the wires fell out of the sealed inverter and i used my vast electronical experience to mend it.

[​IMG]

16. Medic6666

That the one

Lazy thats the same as I have...

Got mine from coolcasemods 3months ago but never installed it until now...

Am going to try and leave it running for a while and see if its just a new thing.....

cheers all

Medic6666