1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows iPlayer comes to Wii

Discussion in 'General' started by Tomm, 9 Apr 2008.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7338344.stm

I think this is pretty big news. I have been contemplating living without a TV (and therefore a license) for a while now, since all I watch is the news and occasional specials (I have enjoyed the recent Louis Theroux documentaries, for example). Since that will all be available online - and now in my living room - why would I bother with normal television?

Of course, the BBC is perhaps shooting itself in the foot with this one, given that it relies on the license fee, but either way, I applaud them.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Or gearing up to apply to charge a licence for any web enable device that can receive iplayer much like they do for anything with a TV receiver. Just a conspiracy theory for you :worried:

3. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Good news :D

on the subject of licencing I checked the bbc website and found this, presumably when they introduce the "watch tv live" button, you will be required to pay.

Lets hope they dont do that for a while:clap:

4. Tomm

Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. It would be quite complicated though, would you have to authorise your computer with your TV license number? How many computers would be allowed per license? Either way, I think we should enjoy this for the moment.

5. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Don't try and use the iPlayer on a laptop plugged in at someone's house if they don't have a TV license, the BBC can tell you aren't using the battery and will hunt you down!

6. Tomm

Well, on hearing this news, I decided it would be pretty sweet if this could be done on the XBMC. Predictably, someone has already thought of it and done it, so after a few minutes of googling and a quick FTP to my xbox, I'm currently downloading Sunday's episode of Top Gear.

It doesn't look like it's capable of streaming but I'll just say this: OMG XBMC PwnZoRz.

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

You sure you don't have to have a licence?

I'm pretty sure just by watching their programming you have to pay the £100ish fee... Then again, they have no way of enforcing it through the web.. They hardly have a way of enforcing it now other than fear.

I had to prove that I didn't have my TV tuned in and some bloke came round to check my PC didn't have a tuner.

8. PHPASP

PHPASP I LIKE TO CODE IT CODE IT I LIKE TO

I don't own a Wii but more things like this can't be a bad thing.

9. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Sweet. :)

Tags: