1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod 20GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lovah, 25 Dec 2003.

?

What are your experience's with the iPOD ?

1. Best MP3-player out there, well worth your money !!!!

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. Good MP3-player, but.. (reply your comment)

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Worst thing apple ever made !

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi all,

I'm getting the iPod 20GB (new) for X-mas.
    I have a feeling alot of you have an iPod, so
    what are your experience's with it ?

Good points ?
    but especially, the bad things about it ??

Just wanna make sure I'm getting the right thing :)

I will also be ordering the griffintechnology FM transmitter, I think the most usefull add on.

Vote aswell !

Thanks

PS:
    What is your opinion on this: http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com
    It says that the Battery only lasts about 18Months, and that your garranty dosn't cover that... it would cost 250$ to change the battery..

Is that true ? or just the fantasy of an apple-hater ?

Any other complaints about it ?

Thanks again
    L

Last edited: 25 Dec 2003
  2. Wndrbread

Wndrbread What's a Dremel?

3. penski

penski BodMod

Except that you can buy replacement batteries for $50.

Stop scaremongering.

*n

4. Wndrbread

Eh, in that case i guess its up to you. I heard they were non-replaceable and you have to get a new one. *shrugs*

-rob

5. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

nope - there was a thread on this a week or so ago IIRC - there are and have been many sites that will replace the battery for ~$50, despite that site saying otherwise...

with all the money i got from christmas, i'm hoping to get the 10gb version (10gb is plenty for me - my entire collection is only ~2-3 gb anyways)

6. Wndrbread

Mines 5gig not including mp3 cd's iv put in storage : )

-Rob

7. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak What's a Dremel?

That site doesnt say otherwise, read 'A message from the Neistat Brothers'

8. Lovah

Hi all

thanks for the reply's so far

well, ... I'll be getting the 20GB... why?

well 10GB of mp3's would be more then enough for me ! but I do want the wired remote, and the dock and the little 'bag' for it...

and If I buy any of those seperatly (because they don't come with the 10GB model) , I would pay 47€ for each part

so .. lets say I want the remote and dock, that would cost me 96€ ! and the 20GB model is only about 100€ more..
    So I get the extra stuff plus a 10GB more !

So I think the 20GB model is the best one..
    and I can also use it as an extern HD (for taking big file's to school, and other way around)

I've got a 128mb memory stick at the moment, and its getting pretty small.. so i'll just put a driver for the iPod on that :)

I've been looking around some more and the creative Zen seems interesting aswell... but I don't really 'trust' creative to have such fantastic products

although there 128mb mp3 players seem to be very good.. but I don't find them to be such an very big brand...

and the battery maybe easy removable.. but if the battery dies every 6 months.. then its not that interesting either...

So I'm gonna check for that 'battery warranty' , and if I can get that, i'll be getting the iPod without a doubt... if not.. then i'll think about it some more .. lol !

thanks, keep the voting coming ! its giving me confidence !

L

9. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

yeah, i realized that the 20gb version is the better deal a little while after i posted.

also, i went to my friend's house yesterday, and lo and behold, he got a 20gb ipod for xmas! i played around with it some and using it is fun and a breeze (which only encourages me to spend the money i don't have on one :D)

10. Wndrbread

So lovah, when do i get one for helping? : P

11. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Be careful!!! I accidentally wiped my iPOD's contents while installing the drivers on another machine once.... read everything that pops up twice!!!

12. Lovah

Hi all

Yeah, I'll be getting one aswell !! Just gonna see if I can get some discount (education discount)

Wndrbread : hmmmm.. let me think.. on 01/01/9875 !

:: Phat ::
    thanks for the tip ! I'll make sure I'll read everything !

wouldn't a apple with os X recognise the iPod without installing it ? I think it will act as a memory stick , as an 'extern hd'

... well, w'll see !!

Thanks for all the help everybody

L

13. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

one question on the ipods in general - when plugged into the usb/firewire port, can the songs be streamed/played directly off the ipod itself? just curious...

14. Lovah

well i'm not sure

but as the ipod also has an external harddrive function , and its connected true firewire (400mb/s) or usb 2.0 (480mb/s) then I would say yes, definatly.

I think u can a make the ipod play a song aswell (true your computer)

well

in a couple of weeks i'll beable to answer all the questions you have on the ipod ! ( hopefully )

L

15. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

hate to tell people this.... but the battery death rumors are complete bull****.... yes there have been a few bad apples (pun intended) in the bunch, but I know for a fact that the majority of them last longer than 18 months

I have a 5GB first generation thats still going strong (from when iPods were first released... so almost 2 years)

I have a 10GB second generation thats from the first release of them (when 1,5 and 10Gb were the options); approx a year old

and I have a 40GB third generation thats less than 2 months old.... none of them have dead batteries (in fact, my original 5GB iPod still goes a full 8 hours on the originally battery when fully charged)

oh... and the iTrip is probably the best thing created for them (I have one for my 3rd gen and for my older ones...)

very handy for when you're supposed to bring music to a party or are playing tunes in a mates car.....

though they DO decrease battery life by a small amount.... I get about 7 hours out of my second gen using the iTrip and about 8-8.5 without it...

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I got a 20GB ipod the other day and I am very pleased with it. The cradle and remote are so useful. I also purchased some sony bud earphones as I have been told they are the best -- and now I can confirm they are amazing.

My mate bought an iTrip which I havn't yet seen but I hear it's quite good for getting music in things other than your ears.

As to the battery, well if it stops charging drop your ipod down the stairs and claim on the house insurence ;)

17. Lovah

Hi all,

well, I finally did it!, two days ago I ordered myself the 20Gig Model ! I ordered it true the apple education store, I got the free engraving (my name and phone number.. in case I loose it.. I doubt if they would call though...) and got my students discount ! (wooot).

I should be receiving it sometime this week.. last date was 19/01.. so lets hope it gets here sooner!

I also ordered the iTrip at my local mac store. I originally got it for in the car, because I didn't want to use the old tape thing; but yesterday I notice that the car radio has an input... intended for a CD, but its normal headphone's jack... so It won't be necessary for that...

but It still has some great potentional.. I thought of this the other day...

I put the iPod in my backpack, in its nice pouch.. so that it cant get harmed (lol) with teh itrip plugged it.. and hten I listen to it, true a small portable radio !

pretty silly , I know, but I still thought it was a good idea ; you could do the same with a wireless headhone (put the transmitter in your backpack).

But the most use will probably be at other place's.. when u don't have a set of wire's to connect it to the stereo, or when the stereo dosn't have an aux/cd input... there is always a radio !

Or, more fun ! Go in a store.. and go stand next to the radio.. and transmit your own songs in the store !

or.. record some icky noises when ur at home.. go in your local electronics shop, change the radio to the signal of your ipod.. and laugh away

ok
    /childish mode

gonna go to bed now !
    bye all

L

thanks for advice and posts about this! you helped me alot !

18. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

I think the Itrip is a well cool piece of kit, but according to my local apple store its illegal here in the Uk (something to do with radio broadcasting laws)...Mind you, its not like I have the cash to buy one anyway!

Sam

19. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

Yep, it is illegal in the UK.... which is why I bought mine in the US :D

20. Ouikikazz

Ouikikazz What's a Dremel?

i dunno, i find with the education discount its still more expensive than some online retailers or even ebay SOMETIMES. But the engraving pays off if you want it :)

still find the ipod too rich for my blood especially the new minis ;p