1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Iron Man Mod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stuey, 31 Mar 2008.

1. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I'm considering making an Iron Man mod, but I'm having trouble coming up with designs. My biggest problem is that I will not be able to do much painting. That leaves me with a few options. Colored metal foils which might damage easily, or a combination of plastic and metal. I could use copper or brass for the golden accents, and maybe red foil for the red accents?

Or then again maybe I could try to make a "Mark 2" mod. I don't know. Then there's the question of how exactly to proceed. Maybe an etched window design, and the rest of the case could just have an Iron Man design scheme?

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I dunno, man... an Iron Man theme without paint severely limits the ideas for me! :hehe: I'm drawing a blank. The use of copper sounds interesting and actually makes sense.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

hope you have lots of money

Copper = very expensive

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Iron man is easy...

Use scrap iron, and threadwire and bolts to tie the thing together. You can try to simulate rust, but there's nothing like the actual thing :thumb: . You'd need some sort of coating spray to preserve the case from rusting to sh!t, but otherwise you're in the clear, and cheaper then any other mod out here. Just visit the local scrapyard :)

You'll need a good cutting tool though. Just remember, the Iron Man is not subtle or precise, so the case shopuldn't have to be either. Have fun!

:clap:

5. Stuey

nonono, not the Iron Marn Mark 1, but the shiny red and orange, or at least the shiny not colored one.

6. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Foils that you can get from crafts shops aren't that expensive. They have standard gold, silver, aluminum and copper. There are also paint on (not spray) finishes to age and add patina, much like what the Bioshock mods here have used. To protect the metal, there are matte, satin and glossy finishing coats to brush on as well. I have a similar situation where weather, dust outside and lack of proper space to spray paint limits things. Take a look at some of the crafter stores online for ideas. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what you can come up with.

BTW, Iron Man is a great theme, especially with the upcoming movie this summer.

7. Stuey

I might take a look at the craft shop this weekend to get an idea of how realistic this would be. I was watching the Iron Man trailer again earlier, and every look at the suit makes me thing how kick ass those colors would look on a case mod. I figured that even if I wasn't able to pull it off, someone might draw off the ideas my inquiry would attract.

8. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

if its a case, on the front of the case you should do the glowing blue circle thing thats on his chest, that would be SICK!

9. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Here's an idea of some of the metals craft stores might carry:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz605/12/

As you can see, they're not terribly expensive, which is a big plus.

10. Stuey

Yup, that's definitely what I had in mind. I figured some spray-on adhesive or metal epoxy + alum framing should be sufficient. I don't recall seeing any glazes or protective sealers when I last looked in that section at the crafts shop, but I suppose clearcoating or some airbushable glazing could be a last resort.

11. rewris

rewris What's a Dremel?

Papier-mâché is gonna be key to this if you ask me.
    This is how I would go about it.

Get a mask. A regular party mask or whatever that's plain and similar to that of the iron man mask. Coat it with the papier-mâché. When it cures, maybe you can go over it with fiberglass kit. I think it'd be a bit much, budget-wise, etc... but it's gonna take some artistic skill, make the mask, sand it. And coat it with that dickblick stuff that Scirocco found.

You can use a clear coat of automotive laquer to seal it, but it may kill the glare of the metal coating itself a bit.