1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Is 15TB RAID5 with different controllers possible?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by AlExAkE, 2 Jun 2011.

1. AlExAkE

AlExAkE What's a Dremel?

I would like to build new htpc/server for myself, and I'm going to use Zotac H67ITX-C-E or Zotac Z68ITX-B-E motherboard with Lian Li PC-Q08B case. The case itself has space for 6 3.5" hard drives, 1 2.5" hdd, and 1 5.25" cd/dvd/blu-ray ROM. Therefore I would need 8 SATA ports available, 1 for DVD, 1 for 2.5" HDD with OS (Windows Home Sever 2011 or Windows 7 Ultimate), and 6 ports to put 3TB HDD on each, for 15TB RAID5 array. Both of those motherboard have 2 6Gbps SATA III ports, and and 2 or 4 3Gbps SATA II ports.

My question is, they probably use a different controllers for the different ports, but does that matter? Can I put a HDD on a SATA III port on Marvel controller and 1 HDD on SATA II port on Intel and make RAID with it? In addition, since the ports are not enough, I will buy RAID controller like this one: MODEL# IXBAY-PX237

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-E-SATA-x-5-...389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2e258915

Would that work? Or for RAID I need all the ports to be from 1 controller? Keep in mind, all of the controllers support RAID5. This controller here has only 5 internal, and 1 external port, so I cant use it alone to connect 6HDD on it. Can I use the 5 from here, and 1 from the motherboard, to connect 6 3TB hard drives, to create my 15TB RAID5 array? IF not, please give me some solution.

Thanks.