Build Advice Is I3-3225 (HD 4000) enough for 2x180p monitors, Photoshop and Maya?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystvearn, 24 Oct 2013.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I want to build a PC for work purposes. I have a (week old) AMD R7 240, which did not work with my dell Optiplex 780 supplied by my work place. Hence I need to build a new pc.

Most of the time I will be doing normal office work. Using photoshop sometimes, Maya or other 3D display software, even rare, depending on the type of software. Usually the software is just for viewing. I have viewed 3D objects on my Asus laptop with Nvidia 540M graphics. That was fine. In fact faster than the Quadro based workstations at viewing and loading objects.

Below are the tentative parts which are mentioned by the supplier to go with the R7 240 and a 2 GB value RAM (which I purchased a week ago):

CPU : Core™ i3-3220 (Ivy Bridge
    motherboard : MSI H61M-P31 (W8)
    RAM: 4GB DDR3 G.SKILL
    case : XIGMATEK HELIOS 231/232
    DVDRW Liteon 24X
    Win 7 64 bit Home Basic
    HD WD 500GB/1TB
    PSU : ENERMAX NAXN(Tomahawk II) 500W

I am thinking of trading back the R7 240 for a CPU i3225 and retaining the rest of the components.

My supplier has shortlisted me a i3-3220 to go with the R7. However, I notice there is a i3-3225. Do I need to additional power of a R7 card? If not, I want to trade it in back for parts for my PC, since it is still a week old and still under warranty. I know the PSU is overkill, but I think it is based on what is best. If not, how many watts do I need then?

I will power 2x1080 23" dell monitors with whatever card for work all the time. Also, since this is an office PC, this PC will never see games.