1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Is it time for the hard disk to die?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Jan 2012.

1. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Um, no they are not.

This isn't really an issue unless you are running a server tbh.

"As an example of endurance, Intel rates its 160GB X-25M G2 drives with a lifetime of "at least" 5 years even if you write 20GByte per day to them. I've used one in my Windows 7 system for well over a year now and it's averaged about 5GBytes worth of writes per day - so on that basis I'd expect it to last around 20 years. That's a LOT longer than I've ever used any other hard drive. In fact the only storage media I've used for that long are some old CDs I bought back in the 80's."

From a post by sminlal at Tom's Hardware. (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267303-32-what-write-limit-ssds)

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

"Is it time for the hard disk to die?" - Yes. If it's made by Seagate it will die within 2 years.

3. leslie

leslie Just me!

Funny, that is how I feel about WD drives, though it's only half that.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

We are buggered then as they are the only 2 manufactures left...

5. Cutter

Cutter What's a Dremel?

LOL! Props for the honesty! :D

6. pucpop

pucpop What's a Dremel?

hi folks. i had my main os on an intel 120gb ssd and a 2tb hdd for my media/games etc, its the perfect combination.

7. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Makes me chuckle to think that SSD's will ever get cheap as mech hard drives, well in my life time that is.

Most slating SSD'd obviously can't see the benefit from a 100GB+ SSD and a 1TB or 2TB secondary drive, which means they'll either be waiting a long time, or they just don't get it.
    Its not all about throwing Steam on the SSD either.

SSD'd actually have a longer life span than mechanical hard drives, if they have TRIM active, and they are treated properly. The longest I have ever had a mech HD is approx 4 years, usually to upgrade it, but with my current SSD and secondary drive I'll not be upgrading for a long time.

Mechanical hard drives are here to stay for a long while yet, and if you want to stay in the slow lane, continue.
    Corporate usage keeps HD's going, and they will for a long time, manufacturing costs of SSD chips and controllers will keep SSD's out of reach (assuming you are looking for a 2TB SSD) for most of us.

I agree with all above who have an SSD, but those hoping for a massive price drop in SSD'd have a long time to wait, so enjoy.

Oh yeah, SSD'd don't just benefit from boot loading times, as I keep reading, overall usage, system and program responsiveness keeps me happy.

OCZ Vertex 2 100GB
    285MB read
    275MB write
    Now run a HD RAID system to beat that, only way you'll come close.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

from tests done they can write up to 450tb on the latest ssds- even though they are rated half that

Tags: Add Tags