1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Is Ivy Bridge Worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wsmccusker, 14 Aug 2012.

1. wsmccusker

wsmccusker What's a Dremel?

Sorry if this has been asked many times but I don't have time to trawl forums.

I am currently thinking about building a new PC. The funds are not totally together yet so it is not urgent.

The question is whether spending the extra cash (about £10) on an ivy bridge cpu over a sandybridge is worth it.

I do not plan on using internal gfx for anything taxing so that voids that line.

But is the increase in heat worth the money?

-W

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

For 10 pounds? It is.
    It's not about the increased heat, but the electricity savings that add up over time, while having a slightly faster CPU.

3. wsmccusker

So just to clarify, for the same power rating you get higher speeds.

But if the temps are higher wont that make the fan use more power (motors have a high power consumption).

4. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Sandy Bridge is rated at 95W, Ivy Bridge at 77W. That's 18W difference. I don't know any CPU cooler that uses that much power, even at full speed.

5. wsmccusker

Just checking.
    Thanks for the tips.

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Also with newer Motherboard chipsets (z77 etc) PCI 3 (for those later upgrades)

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That is TDP. And that PC would have to run for years 24/7 (do your math - convert the wattage difference to kilowatts, multiply it by 24 and then by 365, multiply it by your electricity rate per kWh and scratch your head at that low result.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

when i replaced 2 580s with 2 680s i noticed a saving of a nice 300 watts thats when its sorta worth it.

for the sake of completion

costs dif

95-77= 18 *24 432 kwatts per day 0.4
    432 * 7 = 3024 kwatts per week 3.024
    3024 *52 = 157248 kwatts per year 157.248

1000 watts per kilowatts

25 pence per kilowatt ( uk avr cost varies alot i just took 1 of the 5 that i bothered to look at ) £39 a year on 24/7 usage which is more than the cost to get the cpu in the first place

between sandy and ivy bridge at stock settings. shockingly more than i thought it would be.

9. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

But that assumes 24/7 flat out usage doesn't it? In reality, with the power saving measures intel put in, plus sleep/off, etc and general usage habits that would be massively lower, or am I wrong?

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@rollo: And now back to the calculator, because TDP is one thing, and real power consumption is another. For some reason, in the bit-tech review there was a rather huge idle power consumption difference, which somehow is not present anywhere else. Everywhere else the measured difference in idle was pretty much zero, 1-2 watts at best (which is kinda expected, as idle power usage of Sandy Bridge was very low in regions of 20-30W for start, so you can hardly get down by even a single watt). Sure, at load you will get maybe a 10 watt difference (again, keep in mind the difference between TDP and real power usage - Pentium G620 has a TDP of 65W, yet i had problems getting the power consumption above 50W for whole system), but how big part of the day does your PC run at full load ? Unless you fold 24/7, not much. Let's say you run your CPU at full load for 2-3 hours per day (a gaming session) - your savings will be one tenth of the value you calculated, that is £3.9 - or even less. So for this optimistic usage pattern, the power consumption difference would take 2 to 3 years to show up.

What i was trying to say is that unless you will fully load your CPU 24/7, then the difference in costs are so small that it is irrelevant to look at power savings as a deciding factor. PCI-E 3 is a deciding factor, worse thermal performance is a deciding factor, power consumption not so much.

PS: Most computer fans use 1-4W.

11. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I'd rather OC my Sandy Bridge. I think that Ivy Bridge was about as impressive as Bulldozer

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Isn't it mostly a question of how much oc'ing you intend to do? If that is the raison d'etre then a Sandy Bridge would probably be the better choice. In any other case Ivy Bridge wins. Well, unless you were thinking of _upgrading_ from SB to IB. That's not worth it at all.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

I posted a worst case scenario I didn't have time for the million usage scenarios

I know graphics cards are the bulk of power either way.

14. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

From Sandybridge to Ivybridge - No.

From Core 2 or older or as per op, the sake of £10 - Definitely.

15. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I'm not sure that PCIe-3.0 is worth it with the current GPU's. I do not see any GPU taking advantage of it before a year (or probably 2). Just look at the negligible performance difference between PCIe-8x and PCIe-16X.

[​IMG]

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

17. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

... with a GTX690. Graphic cards using a single GPU won't take any benefits from PCIe 3.0 :D ... and if you can afford a GPU that is limited by the PCIe-16x ... then you do not care paying a premium of 10€ on the CPU :lol:

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

If the PC is not being used 24/7 the power usage/energy saving is a moot point. I would say just go for the newer tech; absolutely no reason to get SB now unless you're trying to save money by buying second hand. :)

19. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Just to throw something else into the mix. When I bought a month or two ago, I got a Z77 board so I'm ready for all that new shiz and have USB3 native.......
    .....and then I dropped a Sandy Bridge Pentium in there for no money.

I'm not overclocking or gaming with current titles, but the machine's silent, perfectly quick and I can drop an Ivy Bridge CPU in whenever I want.

Just a thought.

20. eagle123

eagle123 What's a Dremel?

or better wait for haswell the next intel tick