1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Is this any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acron^, 12 Feb 2008.

1. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

2. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

As Daniel suggests... you get what you pay for.
    You'd be as well walking into Argos, and getting a similarly specced TV from them at the same price?
    At least then... if it wasn't to your liking/if there was anything wrong with it... you'd just need to box it back up, and take it back into the store :idea:

But I prefer to pay more for a recognised brand - i.e. Samsung/Toshiba/Panasonic etc, and know what I'm getting (most of their screens are usually reviewed somewhere), than risk buying an unknown/very much lesser known brand.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

based on that thread at AVF i would not buy that tv :D

5. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I'm afraid that the old saying "if it seems too good to be true then it usually is" would probably apply here. I'll presume you got the e-mail alert about this today as well, it caught my eye but I'm still reluctant to take any real notice of it as its too much of an unknown even if it does claim to have a Samsung screen.

Stick with an acknowledged brand, it will cost you a bit more but not as much as it would if you buy a duffer and then have to replace it when it goes belly up - usually just after the warranty runs out.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The panel itself probably is made by Samsung - there are only a couple of manufacturers of display panels worldwide. Where each TV differs is in the control of that panel. When you buy a branded TV, part of what you're paying for is a quality control circuit for that panel. It'll contain decent scalers to scale from SD to the resolution of the panel, a decent DVB tuner, and decent picture control to minimise shearing, motion blur, ghosting etc.

So the panel itself might be good, and might be capable of 120Hz, but at that price I doubt very much that the panels are A-class, nor that the control board is capable of utilising the full capability of the panel.

As with all things, there's no such thing as a cheap lunch. You'll just end up snacking all afternoon :D

7. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Bit-Tech has spoken. The TV remains un-bought.

Tags: