1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Is this even possible?

Discussion in 'General' started by talladega, 29 Dec 2010.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

So I got myself a safety razor to shave with. It works amazing. My girlfriend likes my face freshly shaven and I do as well. The problem is I'll shave on a Friday afternoon and by the night its starting to get a bit scratchy and the next day it is like sandpaper but it seems like its not yet long enough to actually shave again.

How to solve this problem?

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

You could try stop being a man...

mvagusta likes this.
  3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Facial waxing

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah, that'd stop him being a man.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Shave daily. It's more fun with a single blade razor anyways.

If you do it every day you can get away with fewer passes, a WTG followed by an ATG if your face can handle it, you'll be good to go.

I did notice that my stubble became stronger since i started wetshaving.

Edit: BTW What gear are you using?

Last edited: 29 Dec 2010
  6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i think it was just a merkur safety razor. not sure which one. it was like $35 on amazon.

oh and shoudl i be shaving against the grain too? cuz thats what i've been doing so that i lasts longer.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

What about the blade? I'm not trying to diagnose your stubble problem, just curious :D

Yeah, you can shave against the grain on your last pass, that's what cleans you up. Anything before that should be a reduction pass. If i want to be really neat i do WTG XTG ATG and a final touch-up pass if i missed any patches. My face is really sensitive but this works fine with it.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2010
  8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i got a big pack of derby extra brand. they seem good.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I have a pack of derbies too, though i haven't tried them yet as a lot of people say it's kind of rough. Sharp but rough.

I'd definitely suggest you try out Feather, folks make it out to be deadly dangerous for newbies but it's been amazing for me so far, very smooth.

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

well smoothness is definitely not a problem for me. i just wondered if i can get that sandpaper to not come back so quickly.

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I take pride in mine, there's something cool about being able to hurt people with your face, though the novelty might wear off eventually.

I don't think there's much you can do about the rate of your hair growth. It's probably the same as before, except as far as i know the DE leaves your cut hairs with a different shape compared to the multi-blade stuff, maybe that's why you notice it more.

You just started using a DE, i'm sure you'll see improvements in the coming weeks, but i'm not sure if that particular problem will benefit from experience.

Mind you, i'm still a newbie myself.

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I think I do a pretty good job. I havent sliced myself with the blade yet but i get lots of tiny little blood dots. I think thats from going over my shaving rash which I'm trying to get rid of, so I don't think I can do much to stop that. I put on some anti irritation after shave balm afterwards and the bleeding stops almost immediately.

But I even used the razor to shave "the zone which shouldn't be mentioned but if you mess up it could be life ending" without any blood at all. lol

So I think my skills are good. :)

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You're really not supposed to get any blood... congrats on not castrating yourself though. So you have sandpaper down there too? :p

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i didnt go against grain so it didnt get a super close shave, so no sandpaper. lol

anyways...... i do put some pressure because otherwise i dont seem to get it all. its only on my neck where i get blood. not my cheeks. and it only seems to be where ive gotten razor bumps/zits so I think its just chopping those off?

when i shave i keep it wet and using shaving cream/lotion stuff and then once i do the first few passes i feel with my hand to see where i've missed and then i go over those spots.

basically my process is...

get water as hot as i can tolerate on my face.
    wash my face with deep cleansing stuff to help with acne
    get my face as hot as possible
    apply shaving gel mixed with a tad bit of water so it works better
    shave it all off
    use a bit more shaving gel with water and go against grain
    find spots where i need to do again and use gel-water and shave again
    rinse my face off with warm water
    use super cold water to rinse face off again
    pat dry
    apply aftershave

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Definitely drop the pressure, it's a big no-no. You're really not meant to chop anything off, other than your hair that is. If you're not getting everything, you should be working on your technique, not adding pressure.

The other thing i'd drop is the hot water, it's counter-productive in my experience. You want a softer beard, not tender skin. Take it down to warm and that should get rid of some irritation for you.

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Well I'm quite sensitive to hot water so to other people its probably not even that hot. lol

But I will try your suggestions tomorrow and see how it goes. I don't seem to get any irritation any more actually. The bumps and zits I do have are from when I was using my mach3 razor. So this razor seems to be working and I just need to get the old problems gone.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, i had that too when i was transitioning. But the fact that the Mach destroyed your face is even more reason to go light with the DE for now.

By the way, i wholeheartedly recommend looking into a brush and cream/soap, it's good for you. No need to fork over 50 quid for a badger brush right off the bat, a drug store boar brush is workable.

18. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

how about trying womens hair removal cream, i duno how it works tbh metls the hair off or sumin lol.

but hey a new method would always be quite funny to try out.

Edit: Quick google find this LOL:
    LINK

Edit 2: I may actualy try this lol (still a bit drunk from last night and lack of sleep) inless people know it is a bad choice to use on face.

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Even if it works, you'll smell like ass for a good while.. That stuff is potent.

20. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

No, no, it's not bad at all... :worried:

Post back tomorrow with patchy pics!