1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vertekal, 12 Mar 2002.

1. Vertekal

Vertekal What's a Dremel?

In my house I currently have a 2-PC LAN, connected w/ a Linksys Cable Router (and have a cable modem plugged in there too). All this works fine & dandy.

Question is, we are getting a DSL line installed so that one of the 2 PC's can be part of a WAN. Now, how do I get that PC to be able to communicate over DSL for the WAN stuff, and communicate with the Linksys router for the LAN and Internet browsing stuff?

I need to use a Microsoft OS, and can put 2 NIC's in this computer if need be (which is my current plan). The only catch is that WAN traffic cannot get mixed up with LAN traffic (i.e. someone on the other end of the LAN should not be able to connect to that computer, then use it to access the LAN .. they should only have access to that one machine.)

Confused?

Thanks,
    Vert

2. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

I would use VLan's but im just complicated....

easy way of bodgering it would be erm... Firewalls/internal IP's (but your using Nat(e) anyway cause of the linksys (I think linksys use nat not sure.

where is the DSL going to be? same building/room as the cable?

explain a bit more please. But Vlan's is the way to go but you won't be able to do that as I think the linksys has a built in HUB but you need a switch to do that - even if the linksys has a switch it's still mickey mouse and prolly wont have that feature....

3. Vertekal

Ya the Linksys uses NAT with either DHCP or manually assigned addresses (I prefer the latter). I don't believe the Linksys has switch capability. I'm about to say fudge it and keep the PC using DSL on a totally seperate network from the PC using the cable modem/linksys router.

I'll read up on VLAN's .. also, to answer your question, the DSL is in the same room as the cable. The most important part here is to make sure that incoming traffic on the DSL side cannot reach the machine that is using only the cable modem.

4. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

buy a switch and use Vlan .

5. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

or buy a different router that supports VPN's

i can't see how you'd do it with your current setup, only the router itself would have a world routeable ip, and the pc on the WAN would need to be plugged straight into your cable modem as far as i can see....

6. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

your getting DSL and cable? if thats the case just get a router with dual WAN input ports.. they make em.. good for redundancy and load balancing.. as for your idea with the two nic's, just set the linksys up as a bridge to keep the traffic seperate..

i think that sounds right

-scoob8000

7. Vertekal

Excellent! Thanks for the insight .. I guess I need to evaluate my current hardware (at least the Linksys) before going any further, but you've all given me several options.

Thanks again,
    Vert

Tags: