1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Issue with canon lens

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Nedsbeds, 9 Jun 2012.

1. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Hoping someone has come across before this issue before and has a quick fix before we send the lens off for a service...

We've got a canon 24-105 lens with what I think is a sticky shutter.

When the shutter button is depressed, it makes a new noise (not IS or auto focus) before firing.

On the 5dmkII body there is an error message along the lines of lens cannot communicate with body, but with the 5D body it still works. I think that message is a red herring though since the contacts have been cleaned and the IS and AF still work fine.

The thing that makes me suspect the shutter is that when adjusting the aperture manually, it will only work at F4. Anything different and it produces an error and then resets to F4.

I'm presuming the only answer is send it canon, but maybe there is something quick we can try to free it up!?

Thanks
    Nick

2. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

It's not the shutter since it's not in the lens, but the aperture blades are probably stuck. It resets to f/4 which is the "wide open" aperture for that lens, which indicates that the blades do not move.

And yes, I'd suspect that the error message is still correct and the body informs you that it cannot adjust the aperture of the lens. Don't know why it works with your 5D, but it could be because the mkII gets more information from the lens (this is just speculation).

Can you change the aperture with your 5D or does it just work without error codes but only at f/4?

Stuck aperture blades are probably the reason for this behavior, but I'm afraid you'll have to send it to Canon for maintenance. Is the lens still under warranty btw?

Janne

3. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Hi..thanks for the info. you are right I have now worked out it is the aperture and on the 5D it acts in the same way (reverts to F4) but doesn't give the error message.
    After some more research I have found this on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPr-JFxmTwY
    which is exactly what it does. Seems it is may be a common fault.
    I have used ACS once in the past for a Canon repair. I hear Colchester Camera repairs are good. Do you have any experience/ preference for a repairer as I think you are right..it will have to be sent away.
    Many thanks,
    Chris.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I always used Canon's service centre in Elstree. Very fast service (but then I am a CPS member), with returns by UPS. The one time I had to pay for a service (smashed the rear screen on a 5DII) it was only £55 all in.

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Can't help you there, unless you want to send the lens to be repaired in Finland :hehe:

Hopefully Cei and other locals can point you in the right direction and you get the lens fixed.

Janne