1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with GA-P55M-UD2 (Rev. 1.1)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Riddick, 11 Jan 2011.

1. Riddick

Riddick Percussionist

Hi Guys,

Been having a problem with my Gigabyte Motherboard, tried contacting the tech support with no response (didn't even get a confirmation email and had problems even getting onto the site so maybe it wasn't working?)

Anyway the problem is my computer keeps crashing to a BSOD with the following message:
    Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed
    atikmpag.sys STOP: 0x00000116

This crash appears to occur randomly in any situation such as playing games, browsing the web or even sitting idle on the desktop.
    I originally contacted XFX as the error referred to the Graphics Driver but after trying all their solutions they suggested I tried Gigabyte as the STOP code referred to a mainboard error.

I'm tried all the obvious stuff, reflash BIOS, CMOS clear, reinstall drivers, reinstall operating system, take card out, put card back in etc etc, needless to say very frustrating :wallbash:

Anyone have any suggestions as losing coursework to random crashes it starting to become incredibly annoying!

Cheers!
    Riddick

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

You might be better off posting in the tech support section of this forum, More people read it than this section.

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

I agree with fingers, also it sounds to me like it is your graphics card as its the driver which crashes.

I am going to assume you are not on windows 7, as I bet the exact same problem on win7 would reveal itself as the screen turning black and then coming back but with aero basic.

I had the issue when idling/web browsing with my 5770, it is because the idle clocks are too low and it fails to run aero correctly.

One thing I would suggest is to go into catalyst control centre, go to the overclocking tab, unlock it if you haven't already. And overclock or underclock the core by 5mhz, this should then bring the idle clocks up enough. I think it will bump the core up to 400mhz depending on the card.

Give that a shot and see how you get on.

4. Riddick

Riddick Percussionist

Hi Guys,
    Ta for the replies, I'm on Windows 7 64bit and after pestering both XFX and Gigabyte it's been decided it's probably a mainboard error but they don't know what or how to fix it :wallbash:

So I'll give Matticus' suggestion a try as it happens the most when idle with aero enabled and see what that does for me!
    If it doesn't work I'll move over to the tech support forum and see what happens
    Riddick

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Did you memtest your memory ? I had random BSOD's as well (different P55 board), and in the end i found out that my memory kit was mismatched (and no, i don't mean not working according to spec, one of the modules had insides of a completely different model).

So check your memory with memtest, one module at once. Even if BSOD message points to the graphic card, it could be also a system memory problem as well.

6. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

I have the GA-P55M-UD4 mb and also had numerous issues with this (not the actual bsod as win7 caught it)
    My screen would just go black and flash then an error would pop up from the clock that some driver had stopped working or didn't respond in a timely matter. I Googled it and found that the issue has been around for years with mb manufacturers passing the blame to Nvidia then to Microsoft but no one taking the blame for it. It was increasingly annoying as it was happening 4 times a day or so.

I was going to change for an Nvidia card to an ATI one only to learn the same issue would recurr. I updated the Nvidia driver and ran windows update and it seem to sort itself out. I found that after the crash the Aero interface had been turned off and I think this did help. But why shouldnt we use the aero interface!! I like it.

Let me know how you get on with this I would be interested in finding out if it is the board.

On a side note did you have any trouble fitting the ram? I fitted mine as it said on the manual but it wouldn't see all the ram until I changed the slots it was in. Bizarre.