1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Issues with new WC setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 16 Jul 2008.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Right, i finally got my WC setup up and running last weekend. It has been running fine with decent temps and I am delighted with the look of it all.

However, the pump seems to stop every now and then for no apparent reason whatsoever and then starts again after a few seconds. Occassionaly it takes longer, usually when I damn well need it running well - ie. In the middle of a good long game of PR or CoD4.

I am using a Koolance RP-1000BK res/pump unit, seasonic M12 700w PSU.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I would say if it work perfectly fine afterwards It might be the power supply what else are you running?

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

You could do a test and just short out the PSU to get it going but only power the pump.
    If it doesn't do it, you almost certainly have power-draw issues.

The pump isn't attached to anything special is it?
    Like a rheostat, or fan controller, or the mobo's fan header or the PSU's dedicated fan rail (if it has one)?

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

The two fans (NorthQ 120mm Red LED Silent Tornado ) that are attached to the radiator are controlled via the RP-1000 as it has fan controls for 2 fans.
    I have a dedicated molex connection to the pump/res/controller.

The only other thing I am powering is the PCI-E connector on an 8800 GTS 512, the 3 other 120mm Fans that came in the case (Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570), single 250GB HDD, LG DVD-RW and thats it. Surely 700w is far more than is required.

It only seems to happen when under load, so a power issue would be the most logical thing, but it is so erratic. I will check the cables tomorrow and make sure everything is properly connected and test and re-test (with lots and lots of CoD4)......

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

It should certainly have enough juice.
    Maybe you're just drawing too much from a particular rail?
    Try moving some molexes about to other devices etc?

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Aye, I'll give it a go later on today, up to my eyeballs with work at the moment.

Tags: