1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's my case... i'm going to mod it...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Altron, 2 Sep 2003.

1. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Modding my case... update within a few mintues as I type a long post with plenty of pictures.

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

[​IMG]

Super Flower SF-561 case, about the size of a Lian-Li (except with extra 5.25" bay)
    Pentium 4 2400B, C1 stepping
    DFI NS-36TL MB, with SiS 651
    512MB Kingston ValueRAM PC2100
    Geforce 3 video card
    Antec TruePower 430 watt.
    Generoc 350w PSU
    30GB HDD (windows)
    80GB HDD (files)
    Lite-On 52x/24x/52x CD-RW

This is what i'm starting from.
    This is the stock picture but mine is identical to it except for the side fan grille, mine is a ncie gray speaker grille thing.

[​IMG]

First an overview of the case, showing the stealthed CD-ROM. It's not currently lined up to be flush wiht the other panels, but i'll do that tomarrow. I'm tired.

[​IMG]

tray out, the cover got a little bent. I was using wire snips and pliers to rip off the sides of it, it's rather thick steel.

[​IMG]

Now the plexi. This is probably 1/8" thick, 1'*2' sheet that I picked up at Home Depot (don't bother witht he mod shops, this sutff is cheap!)

As this is also a kind of HTPC (I watch movies and listen to music with it, that's why it's next to my 2 lurvley recievers) I am of course making wires!

[​IMG]

This is the start of one (I still need to order 3.5mm plugs)
    I know it's not as good as G-Gnomes wires (And no I didn't download the pics of his wires and make them my wallpaper :brrr:) but the 18ga wires were too thick and I was too cheap to buy new tubes. Or sleeving.

I will end up with 3 wires, 2 3.5mm>3.5mm and 1 3.5mm>RCA

It iwll be wired like this

CD Player > Computer > MP3 Player > Reciever

Things planned: (I have a whole lot of stuff planned but this is only for tomarrow)

make 5.25" drive bracket. This is what the plexi is for (it's actually clear, it just has blue protective sheet) It will hold the 350w PSU with he antec across from it in the regular PSU area. To make wires nice and tidy I plan to have the drive wires come out of the front PSU and go down the front of the case, while the mbo wires and such come out fo the antec. Mounted on the front of the PSu box will be the power switches. I'll be using green LEDs, maybe i'll do something cool with them lighting the front of the plexi box for HDD activity or such, right now I don't have any LEDs. or switches.

Connecting the PSUs will be some AC wire and possible some 12v and 5v line to help the 350w PSU.

Also i was going to do some other stuff but I forgot so it doesn't matter.

All this hard work gave me 4 blisters on my hand. Oh the sacrifice I make for my loyal viewers 8watches everyone ignore this thread*

3. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

I see one dead pic:(

4. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Yes, I know, the pic doesn't work. I don't know why.

5. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Is this a new case or the same as the previous log. Probably the same, right? Nice case, is that one manufactured by Kingwin or is it different. I've seen the kingwin cases and they are very nice, very similar to a lian li. Looks like a good project.

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

It is the same, I started the old log right before vacation so i didn't get anythign done on it, that was month ago and now i have a new log.

It is manufactured by Super Flower as the SF-561.

7. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

keeep on modding until your happy dude

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

400 views, 6 posts.

Post your comments.

UPDATE:

The PSu bracket is cut and cemented together, it fits nicely.

9. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Thats not bad really considering the 3.3Kviews and about 80% of the posting being done by me. Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually likes my work or not... :rolleyes: Still I haven't even started the real work yet, waiting for parts mostly.

Hope you can get some newer pics up?

10. FlashPanHunter

Yeah, sorry and no offence, but most people aren't going to comment on a stealthed drive pic and a red x.

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Well I did a bunch of stuff but since no one was reading the thread I figured why bother to post... :(

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm still waiting to see what you do with that blue plexi sheet.

Some update and pics please. :dremel:

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

But since I got replies i'm updating it! The PSU bracket isn't going to be used, following this train of thought "Why the hell do I need another PSU"

So instead of adding more crap I decoded to make the old crap nice. So onto the old PSU moddage!

I have an Antec True 430, it's very nice but there's a big mess of wires coming out, I only use liike 3 of the 7 molex leads so I figure i can trim some off.

Unfourtunately I can't find the pics (I did mos tof it last weekend) but I can take new pics of it in it's current state.

I ripped open the PSU cover to expose the 3 molex leads. I then cut them all off, so I had 6 ground wires, 3 12v, and 3 5v. I accidently lost one of the grounds but that doesnt matter. I then get a big strand of 12/3 ga wire and attach the wires to it. This is thick solid core copper so instead of soldering I used the wiring nuts that is generally used for AC wiring.

I took the other end of the wire and cut it off aobut 18" from the PSU. Then i took some more wiring nuts and added the molex leads. This way instead of 3 wires going from the PSU to the drives in the front I only had 1. From there it splits into 2 molex chains, 1 for hard drives and 1 for cd-roms. I then wrapped it with electrical tape and shoved the joint into a spare 3.5" bay. But since I am running the computer without a bezel or bay faceplates, the big wad of tape was pretty ugly looking. So I took a fancy project box, drilled a few holes in it, and put my wads of wire inside.

[​IMG]

Picture of box.

I throw the PSU in the machine and hit power. Nothing. I take it out on the workbench, it looks ifne inside. I plug it in and short the mobo pins to turn it on. One of the ground wires bursts into flame. I cut off the wire that got burnt and tried it again, it worked! So I put it back in the case and after a few fusturatiing mistakes (it didn't work so i dismantled it then realised the power switch on the back was in the "off" position)

Next i'm going to make a new bezel for it, the top half is going to be a piece of arcrylic. I'm probably going to buy some of the nice 1/4" stock for that. I wan to paint the back of the arcrylic black so it is nice and shiny, the bottom section will be an aluminum mesh grille. I'm also going to get new switches and such, but I have no time to mod during the week... damn high school...

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I'm going to cut the blue plexi, however i'm waiting for my mom to ahve to run an errand so she doesnt hear those very loud noises my jigsaw emits. But i'll get it ready for cutting.

15. FlashPanHunter

Sounds like some explosive fun :D I have always been skittish of modding power supplies. The first time I did it, the computer wouldn't start so I was freaking out (actually just the CMOS or somthing like that) as I had just blown a bunch on a new case. Dang that stuff is scary. Glad to hear it all works, which seems beyond logic. Fire? :clap: :rock: :rock: Pyrotechnics and modding, what a great mix.

:eyebrow: just you wait...