1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Javascript in CSS

Discussion in 'Software' started by 3N1GM4, 2 Mar 2004.

1. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

im trying to get a javascript random image genorator that i made to work with css backgrounds... is this at all possible or is this just a futile attempt?

thanks

2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

It should work fine if you're using inline styles, but the JS won't be executed if you're trying to use it in an external style sheet.

3. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

it seems to work with an external like, if i have it document.write("klajdf"); it outputs that, but it never seems to get the image name from the javascript :grr:

4. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

w00t i got it working... i decided to just have the javascript write the line for the div... like so

Code:
        function randbackground()
    	 {
    	  	return document.write("<div id=container style='background-image: url( " + bgimage[randimg] + ")'>");
    	 } 
    works like a charm... not sure how "correct" it is but untill some one else shows me the "correct" way to do it, im gunna use this

5. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Pretty good: :thumb:

OK this is from memory:
    Have you tried it for cross-browser support? The function will probably be supported by most newer browsers , but writing to the document on the fly can be tricky in Nutscrape versions prior to v6, These used/required <LAYER> tags - which IE didn't support requiring not only browser detection but its version as well (I'm not even thinking about MACs here :naughty: )

Stu