1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Joining 2 seperate networks

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PaulJG, 20 Mar 2009.

1. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Hi, I'm trying to comeup with an easy solution to connect 2 independant networks together -so I can access data between them.

Both networks are completely seperate at present.. different ip range, subnet masks, gateway and dns

This wasnt needed years ago, hence why they didnt think about the need to join before both networks became so big.. so I'm kinda limited to what I can do. Making sweeping changes to either of the 2 networks is a no-no.

Both are running server 2003.. and are parked next door to each other.

My idea was to use a second network card in one of the servers, allocate it an IP and server info (dns, gateway, subnet mask) from the second server..

Tried it.. but it doesnt work, shows connected - but no data sent or recieved.. and cant ping it.

(didnt press the 'bridge' button tho -not really too sure of what effect it might have!)

Has anyone had any success with this? or can you recommend an alternative?? thanks.

2. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Do it :)

As the name suggests, it bridges the networks.

There may be a better/more efficient way of achieving what you want, but this is certainly the easiest

3. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Thanks Eek, got it working - bit of a hairy moment when it bridged both connections and showed up as no IP info.. but sorted it

(Had to disconnect the main connection from the bridge)

But now I've got another problem..

How can I get access to it? I can see it through the second network - but it wont let me connect. Even using the admin password for the network I'm trying to connect to.

I guess somehow/somewhere I have to setup permissions of trust.

However, if I use a workstation not on any of the networks.. I can get access through it. ie.. \\server1\c$