1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Just Cloud: a terrible backup service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Jan 2013.

1. Jedibeeftrix

Jedibeeftrix What's a Dremel?

+1 for owncloud and the ownclient client app.

2. Alperian

Alperian What's a Dremel?

Good article. These companies wreak havoc and lay waste to poor users and hopefully Google will pick this article up organically speaking and force improvements. I got to the stage with JustCloud of installing their application and getting the tiny free space (7GB??-can't remember). Anyhow, I realized that this was not the service that I had been looking for when I saw all the extras as you say.

I am waiting for the 500GB sweet spot to come down to $10.00/mth. That is when I will jump in. That will probably be with Google or Amazon I suppose.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I use Spideroak.

Not as cheap as some ($100 a year for 100gb), but it's zero knowledge on their part, so your data is inaccessible to them which appeals to me.

A few customers use Crashplan, that seems pretty effective too. The rest.. Meh. Don't apply - I wanted the ability to sync two folders on different machines, and at the time I went to spideroak nothing offered that for the same money. Windows live mesh/skydrive did, but that just kept failing to install.

4. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

5. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

ooh, so you still use those 5" pankakes or are you using the cute 8"?
    :D

6. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

I've recently been looking at online storage/backup services and came across JustCloud. Still not made a decision on who I'm going with, but I did sign up for the free account with JustCloud to see what it's like. I was completely put off by the fact that they have sent me 8 emails across 9 days as I still haven't downloaded the app, mainly offering me increasing discounts and telling me my computer is at risk of viruses. This was enough to put me off.

I'm currently considering idrive or idrivesync or perhaps crashplan.

7. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

did you check out cloudberry online backup with amazon s3?, its a nice combo, i have used it for years, the data is stored at amazon, and they have a little treat, sometimes they give home users a free license

8. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I've had a similar experience with Live Drive. The client side software is horrific, as is their whole package. I opened a reseller package for 50 different people, only later to find out unless you pay the additional £35 per user for the 'briefcase' feature, it was merely a mirror, not a backup.

Removing external drives would then on next process remove said drive from the cloud. If you wanted to retrieve it, you'd then have to go through the cloud recycle bin and restore them (slowly)

Total con.

9. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Seriously. I bought a USB floppy drive and never looked back.

10. B-Diddy

B-Diddy What's a Dremel?

Watch out and steer clear of justcloud.com.
    I paid for an pre-paid 2-year Unlimited account when they 1st started.
    At that time there were no restrictions on connecting external hard drivers, usb sticks, and no file size limitations. About 6 months later they automatically cut off the external drive support and large file size 5GB. Then started to have non-stop pop-ups to upgrade and have to pay for these services. I was able to contact their poor excuse for a tech-support. I was lucky to finally get someone to agree to let me continue with the 5GB file size,(Because It was not limited in my original terms) but when I looked at my account details last month found that they only extended it for 1 year. I also earned additional sync space for all of the referrals. And earned 1 GB of sync space for each month my service was active. Currently it has been grown to 30GB. On the 2nd of this month I get a notice that I have 30 days to backup my ALL files and that my account will be terminated within 30 days because my account is being used out of the bounds of a "Normal" user. You have 30 days from today to move your files away otherwise they will be permanently deleted and your account cancelled. Also: As per our Terms and Conditions, we have the sole discretion to ask you to move plan type and there is nothing we can now do to prevent the above actions taking place.
    I only had 1.4TB backed up. And they keep saying at this point there is nothing they can do. This is on the 1st notice!!!
    They told me that I could upgrade to a Business account $30+ a month. And I would not get a refund on the pre-paid account.
    Watch out for these guys.
    Here is a copy of the BS email: Our account monitoring system has flagged your account as being used out the boundaries of a normal user.

Unfortunately this means we will no longer be able to have you on our personal user platform.

You have 30 days from today to move your files away otherwise they will be permanently deleted and your account cancelled.

The only other option we can offer you is to switch to one of our business accounts which will be more suitable for your data storage needs.

The account you are currently on is designed for personal use only, We understand that there might be a small increase in plan cost but you will find a business account suits your backup needs better, all business accounts come with:

* Ability to create sub-accounts
    * Ability to allocate backup space to users/devices
    * FREE Network drive backup
    * FREE external drive backup
    * UNLIMITED sharing capabilities

Click Here to Upgrade to a Business Plan Now!
    http://url.justcloud.com/2cbb778b

We also advise customers moving to a business option to delete unwanted files/folder to keep costs to a minimum as all business plans pay for space per GB.

As per our Terms and Conditions, we have the sole discretion to ask you to move plan type and there is nothing we can now do to prevent the above actions taking place.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: 14. Termination and Fair Use Policy
    (http://www.justcloud.com/terms - Sections 4, 14, 15 & 23)

PLEASE TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION AS YOUR ACCOUNT WILL CLOSE ON 28th September 2013.

30 DAYS FROM NOW.

Regards,
    JustCloud

Watch out.

11. mystikmedia

mystikmedia What's a Dremel?

I couldn't even get JustCloud to signup for an account. It just kept reloading the same page. However, I'm glad that I didn't now that I have read this. I see some people recommending CrashPlan, and one person touched on this, but I have to say... CrashPlan has good features, and I have tried to use them for months. The problem is that either they are just INCREDIBLY SLOW or there are problems with their software. I have had the software running for two months, and it has not even made it past 0% on the backup. Granted, I do have a large selection made for backups (spent quite a bit of time hand selecting exactly what I needed), but I also have 100mbps connectivity. So, this should be past 0%. I am canceling today, and back on the search. I have tried so many of these services, and have yet to find one that is good and affordable for large backups. I wish BackBlaze was configurable.

Tags: Add Tags