1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU kaby lake reviews

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 20 Dec 2016.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Pretty impressive. Still, worth waiting for Zen. They're stupid hot though man. 95c ! as if you would want to run your chip at those temps.. And that was under a 240 AIO !

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I hope Zen is good, but I really, really don't want a furnace in my PC.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

intel take the new crown of `room heater` from AMD!

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Delid the chip and your temps come down by 30c. ;)

6. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I saw somewhere about massive temp drops after delidding and using good paste. So I guess its more the heat is trapped under the heat-spreader than been a nice room heater.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

shouldn't have to though - which is the biggest problem.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the heat has to actually go somewhere yes?

9. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I guess so, But I like my room heater when it puts the heat into the water efficiently and then the radiator can put it into my room efficiently.
    My 1080 makes a nice heater in the winter.

A hotspot in the middle of your PC does no good to keep your hands warm.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Reviewer seems in general denial about the future of single core IPC gains. This is probably near enough the limits of 4core /8thread already.

The question really is does anyone looking at buying a 4core 8 thread cpu need more than that. Games have taken till now to truly want a quad core chip. And even then that's just for high settings.

If your after more than 4 cores it's surely for something more than gaming.

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

12. Vault-Tec

I think any one with a shred of realism would be rather jaded tbh.

I think a lot of people are going to buy Zen literally to shove a finger up at Intel. Even some of the die hard Intel fans have been saying they are going to get Zen just "for a change".

All of this is good for AMD, if they get the price right. If you are going to keep offering up 0-3% then you really need to think about what you are charging for it.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

The bigger question would be is this all Intel can offer cause they have hit the limits or are they holding back and price gouging.

Honestly not so sure. Gaming which is all I care for has saw limited gains in buying more expensive cpus. Price is the thing AMD are expected to compete on. 8core /16 thread for under £500 would be awesome, would also bankrupt the company.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

given the news from a year ago - I think intel are on the limit tbh , one reason they have moved to tick-tock-tock , is 10nm isn't right yet (Samsung is ahead)

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sam + TSMC. But only on mobile focus. Intel's chips require more performance + size.
    And there's a lot of marketing 'play' in the numbers. For all I've read Intel is closer to the 'real' number while others are more liberal. Not sure if that's the same at 10nm though - will take some real chip x-rays to see.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Dec 2016
  16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I really hope Zen lives up to what has been shown or spoken about it up to now.

These really small performance gains for a stupid price and then having to void the warranty just to be able to keep the stupid thing cool is pathetic for the price being charged.

17. Vault-Tec

It's the latter. They are holding back and price gouging.

I bought a 2680V2 the other day for dead on £100. 8 Ivy cores 16 threads, clocks to 3.1ghz just below the 5960x. It scores 1129cb. With the clock speed deficit taken into account it's about 8% slower than a 5960x, for £100. I've seen some 5960x board dependent only score around 1200.

There's also a ten core and twelve core version of these chips available too (Ivy). They're how old? about three to four years? Ebay is simply flooded with them. 8 core Sandys start at around £40.

So they are holding back, using their newest tech for mobile stuff and then palming it off onto the home user. That wasn't so apparent until we hit Skylake, but the fact that they can't even be bothered to fix their thermal compound just absolutely and utterly says it all for me. This is an issue that has plagued their CPUs since Haswell and they have been more than made aware of it.

Yet they still continue to do it. And this time the CPU can actually hit what they promised with Devil's Canyon (5ghz consistently) only for it to be completely ruined by their lack of care on the TIM side of things.

Quite why in this day and age they deem a quad core a mainstream part is mental. Broadwell E has now hit either 24 cores 48 threads or maybe higher so why are we still getting parp?

BTW obviously I mean they are holding back cores, not IPC. I don't know what is going on there.

Maybe Zen will help to loosen their core fist a bit.

AMD have a plan for Zen tbh. I was always told by my boss to look at the server/workstation market for your next gen home PC stuff. This rang true right up until AMD died out on CPUs.

AMD have already prepared either a 16/32 CPU or a 32/64 CPU and it's Zen, so you can see that once Ryzen has lived its course where they will likely be heading.

With Piledriver ETC there was no server part so they could not release any more than they had. They did not hold back cores or what not like Intel have been doing.

I liked Intel much better when they thought AMD was up to something with Bulldozer. Look what we got !! 1366 X58, Sandybridge.. Since then they've been a bag of bolts.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

We shall see Vault. I hope your right for the future of pc could be a slow progression one if not.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It seems unlikely they're holding back, at least intentionally, if they were we would've seen big increases with big overclocks or some other evidence that they're holding back.

That's not an issue related to holding back it's an issue of physics, it gets harder to move heat away from things the smaller they get, not only the transistors within the chip but also the surface of the chip itself, as dies get smaller there's less surface area and that forced a change to the way the heat spreader was attached to the die, they used to use Indium based solder but repeated thermal cycling caused fatigue cracks to form within the solder.

I'm not standing up for Intel BTW as i think their almost religious zealotry to follow Mores law is largely to blame for these problems, after a while the only benefits seemed to be a decrease in the overall voltage needed to switch the transistors, something that's of little use for desktop devices.

20. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It's actually impossible to solder the die to the IHS now. Micro cracks appear in no time at all. Intel are not choosing to use TIM by choice, but they are choosing which one to use. I'd happily pay an extra £5 to get quality paste in the middle! Heck, probably even an extra £15 these days.

Their pricing is getting insanely high, but that's a topic for another day. Roll on AMD Ryzen and price drops (please!)