1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News KDE 4 to use much less RAM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Dec 2007.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I hope no one minds another question about linux, but after reading this thread, and looking at this one:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=117592&highlight=games
    I think that I may try a dual boot when i get my new hard drive to see if i like linux. Question is, how is compatability with games? one of the reasons that I have never tried it in the past is that i didn't think that the majority of games would work on it.
    and sorry if this is too far off topic. I didn't think that it deserved a new thread for such a simple question.

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

games don't work on linux. every now and then you see a blog post or something trying to say there are some cool games on linux, but the reality is that there are no games for linux that come close to comparing with anything on windows.

a few windows games run in cadega or wine, but that isn't a real solution. if you are purely interested in gaming, don't bother with linux. if you are a developer or sysadmin or something linux might be better. if you have a crappy old computer linux is definitely better. unless you have a specific need for something that linux can do well that windows can't, then you are probably better off with windows. and this is coming from a guy who only boots into windows (instead of linux) once or twice a week to play grand theft auto.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2007
  3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

or like me (most of the time), windows for games, linux for everything else. If a game has opengl then there is a chance for a linux native installer but there few and far between i can only think of quake 4 and doom 3 in the semi recent times for that

4. completemadness

completemadness New Member

Very true, Windows and Linux actually work quite similarly, you have a kernel running underneath, and then you have a window manager on top of that

the difference is, its damn hard to change the windows display manager (and i think a lot of the projects doing are a bit dead)

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Gaming in Linux is often a 'hit and miss'. Some games work, some don't. Cedega is a huge improvement, but it isn't native nor free (unless you know how to work with CVS).

But don't say there aren't games on Linux either. There are a lot that DO work. Everything from Introvision works, and Uplink is about the gratest game I ever played, it only lacks multiplayer. Defcon got me still thrilled fro hours on end, and Darwinia... you just have to try it.

But I know a lot want FPS's... Look into nexuiz, sauerbraten,...

Or just look here :D

6. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

I found it funny when someone said to me "ehh... windows is made to run on every kind of computer, thats why it gives a lot of problems on some setups"... now I think everyone here knew why i rotflmao'd at this! I've had linux on my ipod, my celeron 500mhz 64mb ram, my main rig and my laptop.

7. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

Nice. My decrepit craptop is 1.1ghz with 256 ram. I was about to retire it with the completion of my new desktop, but it should be fun to play around with KDE4 on it for a while first.

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

fluxbox is still best... KDE might bost running on only 1Ghz but my debian based fluxbox running laptop has only 128mB of ram and a 266Mhz cpu and can run open office, simetrix, firefox (although slow) fine :D

9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

as for the game doubters more games run on linux than any single version of windows. HAve you actualy tried playing games from 95 on an Xp install and had much success? how about DOS games? how about linux games which only distribute source and binaries designed to run on linux?

you are wrong linux has game it's just not last weaks realeases.

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Vista is actually surprisingly good, but it can be a bit of an effort. (Diablo 2 got me for a while)
    Not so sure about programs that are 16bit only (AFAIK Diablo 2 does both 16 and 32)

The prettiness with Compiz doesn't use that many resources, it works fine on my laptop with 512MB ram and a 1.8GHz processor (Radeon 9700 helps), or it did until I broke the graphics drivers :wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags