1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zinfandel, 13 Jul 2011.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think Catena's face sums things up perfectly :D

2. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ha yeah! it is a bit odd, I have crashlanded on EVE with that rocket previously.
    Oh well, that's they joy of KSP and now I have a good reason to try and make a new, hopefully more efficient and less explody rocket!

3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

lol.

Maybe at some supporting struts to the liquid boosters & srbs.

way to much initial thrust, start with SRB's only and (if unable to clear pad) slowly bring up the LBR's throttle until at desired speed, tweak upwards @ SRB jetison.

4. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah I think some of the struts are missing post patch as that rocket used to work perfectly.

It is a very heavy rocket due to the hefty upper stage so it actually needs most of that thrust. It also onion stages so the central large rocket does not ignite until all 8 SRB and all 8 lrb rockets are shed. It is probably over complicated still ha ha

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Brilliant work!

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

8. aramil

Funny :clap:

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Been running a fresh science campaign under the 1.1 pre-release. Got about two thirds of the tech tree unlocked now, have landed on The Mun, Minmus, Duna, IKE and now EVE.

Speaking of EVE, landing there is easy in that you can use parachutes but hard in that its very thick atmosphere so you get a lot of re-entry heating from very high up and as it need lots of DV to not only get there but to slow down! I burned through a whole 800 worth of ablator landing there, was damn lucky not to burn up. So I decided to go there again, this time using the new 10 metre heatshield.
    It is the perfect tool for slowing down on EVE, highly recommended, as it help bleed off loads of speed and it perfect for Aero breaking.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2016
  10. aramil

Yes it works well. So as i could not resist, A "2010" style jool aerobrake to orbit of laythe.

I aerobraked at Jool at 8500m/s with a Pe of ~165km and survived fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saved so much fuel, that a laythe base & station program is a go. litterally used a tiny burn to tweak jool atmospheric entry

Last edited: 17 Apr 2016
  11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Very nice screenshots! Never made it to Jool (yet!), did not know jools atmosphere was so high up, gas giant?

My sadly one way trip to EVE:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8phpm78vrrl26p/20160414232814_1.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp12br48xgj996s/20160414200311_2.jpg?dl=0

12. aramil

Yeah Jool is a gas giant with its own sub system of planets. Atmosphere starts at around 180km but to slow from high speeds and not shoot back out of the system you have to enter the cloud layer to really take your speed down.

Never one way, Build an unmanned rescue mission with empty crew pod, slow boat it (low fuel usage) to Eve, collect and return.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ha all of my eve trips thus far have been one way tickets. Getting there at all has been skin of the teeth fuel and surviving the landing wise. I'll send along an entire Base there at some point. I just unlocked the largest engine a day fuel tanks so super big rockets are go!

14. aramil

Might help: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Returning_From_Eve

15. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Useful, although some of that information is out of date due to the Aero Dynamics changes made in v1.0+.

What did tickle my fancy was:
    'As of version 1.0, one can launch and land the landing rocket with empty liquid fuel tanks, an ISRU Converter, a 'Drill-O-Matic' Mining Excavator, and an electric power source. The latter three can be used to fuel the ship after landing and then left behind on Eve's surface.'

I was aware of the parts just not sure how to actually configure a ship accordingly! I did a test on my super heavy lander by going to Minmus, learned fairly early that's the 'dry beds' don't have enough resource but solid land, even at just 5% ore density can work. Also learned (the hardway) that the mining drills needs to be attached to the Storage tanks and NOT the convert-o-matic!

I am trying to make a lander based around a sci-lab core... so as you may imagine, weight is a problem. Although thanks to the super large rockets, the problem is not getting it into orbit. I am a fan of building it all on a single rocket, launched from the planet with 'accent stages', 'circularisation' 'transfer', 'declaration and re-circularisation' and finally 'landing' stages.
    As you may imagine, this tends to make the rockets large and complicated but I have immense fun testing and refining them!

Speaking of refining, the drag on that 10 meter inflatable heat shield is amazing, a little too amazing! Do you know if seperatrons can be attached to it so that when you jettison, it actually clears your craft? I haven't yet unlocked them and that's is the only use I would have for them at this stage so don't want to waste the science if not.

16. aramil

Yeah i know it's old but it's main points still work.

I sent a rover (probe driven (but with seats) with the ISRU etc to eve before the manned mission. drove it to the top of a mountain and started mining. (has docking port on front at the same hight the lander leg section has a docking port)

Makes a great top of mountain target for any lander you send aftewards, as the closer to see level you get the more difficult to return. The rover can take the crew if they fancy a day at the sea.

yeah seperons work (over engineered as a test.)
    [​IMG]
    For an Eve probe with tiny rover hidden on the underside.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2016
  17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ah you attached the separations to a size converter module, very clever!

Are they airbreakes at the top?

Good idea on the rover, did you need much power and cooling to do the fuel extraction?

18. aramil

Thanks, they can be attached to the sheilds attachment frame as well.

yeah increases drag for when you detach the sheild.

Depends how you want to use it mine had solar panels and PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators and many batteries, manly to get it through the night not because it takes a massive supply to run the drill/converter but it is a reasonable constant drain. (nb. all it's tanks where empty (so lighter) when sent to the weight of many batteries/PB-NUK's/panels was easly delivered because it has no need to return from eve.

Oh and very lttle cooling. Test all your miner/rovers on kerbin first to get your power balance almost right for 24hr mining and then add about 15% more storage and generation (safety gap for Eve)

i generally test ideas in sandbox, like a simulator for career, before actually doing the mission in career.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2016
  19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

That's some good advise RE testing your builds in Sandbox, certain gives much more freedom of parts.

I don't actually enjoy the full campaign, prefer the science only campaign myself.

I really wish Squad would add the Delta V display from Mechjeb into the base game, given the DV needed to get to and from Say Duna or Eve, it would be really handy to know your basic DV numbers from the VAB.

I noticed 1.1 went live last night, Huzzah.

20. aramil

I use MechJeb in the VAB too.

My Ion Probe finally made it to jool in career

[​IMG]

and is now mapping Laythe

[​IMG]