1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Killing animals in games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 23 Jun 2022.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I have a real problem with it.
    Especially dogs.
    I've even completely ditched some games simply for this reason if you cannot proceed without killing animals.

It probably sounds a bit irrational to some but I think being a dog owner has some subconscious bearing.

rma and Pete J like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've never been a fan of killing animals in games, for some reason it makes me feel crappy even though it's just pixels.

Generic NPC's no problem though.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If its trying to kill me then its all ok plus its not real :)

Far Cry, killing stuff just to get a small amount of leather was a bit cringy to say the least

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I was watching someone on YouTube saying the same thing, particularly the "dead dog" noise they make :blah:

It also makes me think of the commentary you got on Tomb Raider Anniversary (perhaps?) where the designer was saying they didn't want Lara killing people so they used animals instead, but accidentally used a bunch of endangered species :hehe:

Personally, it's never bothered me.

5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Mind you, Pig Cops in Duke Nukem, HAVE THAT!!

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I had this exact moral conflict with Deathwing.

Pete J likes this.
  7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I play fantasy rpg and mmorpg games. I do all the nasty things in games I would never do in reality. For me, it is just pixels, everything is fair game.

My cat knows I won’t whack him with a two-handed war axe, or throw a massive fireball at him!

Last edited: 26 Jun 2022
  8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't think I play many games in which you can kill animals in the first place..

Or I just don't do it.

Unless you count fantasy beasts from like.. Final Fantasy or something.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I'm sure there's a whole degree course based around why we feel it's okay to cap digitised people but not animals.

And the way that reflects on us.

wolfticket likes this.
  10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Doesn't bother me in the slightest - pixels are pixels.

I eat meat and wear leather, so I'm certainly not going to let it bother me with imaginary animals.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Saying what I said I've just rebooted RDR2 as I never got around to finishing it and haven't had any problems with the deer or wolf pixels.

So yeah, I'm full of shite.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I do like playing The Long Dark, and you pretty much have kill loads of animals - anything from throwing rocks at rabbits to forging a Halberd to kill a bear. Its a survival game, but it's still huge pile of animal carcasses.

In short, I wouldn't say that I derive pleasure from it (I'm not a sociopath) but I don't give a damn about killing animals in games.

It'd be odd if that was an issue for me, after wading through a few thousand digital humans in any number of FPS games.

If it leaves you conflicted, either don't play or just press F and move on.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Usually only kill aggressive animals in games. Even fake animals like in No Man's Sky. Games that have recipes such as Zelda: BotW I try make do without the recipes. If a game does require killing animals to progress or the animal is aggressive, I get on with it without much guilt.
    My Mrs. however absolutely detests killing animals in games, if a game constantly requires this of her, she eventually stops playing it and moves onto something else.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Funnily enough I've been thinking about this over the last few weeks while I play Horizon Zero Dawn. Makes me feel a bit bad, but there again, it's just pixels.

For me, the Tomb Raider reboot games made me feel terrible for killing deer. One arrow wasn't enough to kill outright, so you had to chase it down, while it was limping to get away. I just tried to kill it ASAP so the pixels didn't have to suffer longer than necessary

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm reminded of the Negaoryx Last of Us meme...

/Thread

Goatee and SuperHans123 like this.
  16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

In contrast, last night I spent more time than I would care to admit lining up a shot to try to rupture both testicles on a nazi in sniper elite 5.

Pixels is pixels…

Arboreal, Impatience and Pete J like this.
  17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Funny, dont like animals dying in games, but ok to have them indirectly killed irl to eat and wear?

18. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

This will help to explain the paradox:

Otis1337 likes this.
  19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Good job you weren't popping the Fuhrer's, you'd have been there a while if the song is anything to go by.

You are equally as merciless with my Skaven, so there may indeed be an underlying issue...

Goatee likes this.
  20. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

i think its partial natural instinct tbh. Not that its fun as such, i mainly refer to the warcraft grinding days, but at the end of the day its a game i guess, kill a bunch of deer or boar sure no issues no problem, real life no chance.

How do i fell about it, meh either way, not really a thought. I can understand in the case of dogs tho, because as people we get more attached to them, so i imagine others may feel that way about horses or other animals etc.

Like playing the last of us 2, i was not happy i had to kill those dogs, i mean i did it, its a game, but it did make me think of my own, same breed and all.

So i think player option in that instance was wrong, and i know they got flack at the time for it. But i dunno, maybe because its forced and not by choice maybe.

I dunno , ramble for me at the end of the day