1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Kingston HyperX KHX9600D2K2/2G

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 21 Jun 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. kempez

kempez modding again!

Every time I get some Kingston in, it always has a problem with the motherboard I'm using and even when it gets going it gives me pain.

It's annoying cause they make well priced fast RAM

3. trig

trig god's little mistake

ok, so should i buy this? or this? the kingston is $255 w/shipping on newegg, whereas the crucial, which is also micron d9 chipped-out i believe, is $115 initially, but only $70 out of pocket after a rebate. i get confused, but doesnt 680 have memory unlink...meaning i can run my memory at 800 mhz and oc my cpu to heaven? thereby taking the benefit of 1200 mhz ram out of the picture?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's weird because MANY people buy Kingston primarily on it's ultra compatibility. I've even heard people pay over the odds just for it.

trig: the Kingston will do tighter timings than any PC6400. The 680i has semi-memory unlinking where it's still tied to some extent. It's not absolutely independent like the DFI RD600.

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Fantastic review that will certainly influence my next memory purchase. Bravo, mate!

6. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Am i wrong that OCZ has a lifetime warranty?? That could be the reason why they cost 25£ more than the Kingston's.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Most memory manufacturers have lifetime warranties... in the countries that allow them to give a lifetime warranty.

As far as I'm aware, local law in France, Germany and Austria stipulates that you have to "define" lifetime and the maximum warranty period can be 10 years.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cheers, Amon :):):)

The PC2-9600 FlexXLC (I didn't know they did it until I just checked) is £318

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

i hear you. but i always think in terms of percentages...so the crucial costs $70 (eventually), and the kingston is $250...over a 350% price increase for...theoretically... a 50% performance increase. and both use the micron d9 chip. i know it may be a little screwed up to look at it that way, but thats me. id almost rather do the wintec pc2-8000 stuff with the d9 chips for $110. so really, what do you think? does it REALLY justify the price increase? do you think the wintec stuff does? i mean, they all use d9, so they should oc like mad anyway right?

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

Indeed, but when it doesn't like the board, it just doesn't work.

11. Nature

Nature Minimodder

The graphs in this article and others testing high preformance memory is so deppressing. I really am not excited if I get two frames per second higher/lower than the other name brand memories competing here or there.

How sound it would be if you had some really dodgey, cheap ass memory in your test group to show how these (and other upper class modules) high end chips out preform them... Just so the new color coated graphs aren't so indistinguishable.

Another killer review by Mr. Swinburne regardless, even though his avatar is more contreversial and (some what) hanus than Man Hunt 2...

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Eh, so tempted. But I do tend to stick to Corsair. About the only brand loyalty I have when it comes to computers. :hehe:

Oh, and good review. ;)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Stick your sticks on a 1:1 sync and go for the Crucial then. A 350% price increase probably isn't worth it, it's only if you were really looking at investing in high performance sticks anyway.

Nature, I know what you mean mate. The 2fps performance difference isn't a lot at all and I'd save some £300 notes and get this rather than Corsair 10k or 9136 or OCZ 9600 anyday. But then again, I'd probably do what Trig does and just get some "normal" CAS4 D9s and save money again. You'll get FAR more performance from just buying the right CHIPSET like a P965 or P35 over anything else because in itself they are some 500MB/s faster in Sandra.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That looks like a seriously awesome bit of kit, especially if it's near-as-makes-no-difference as fast as the fancy Dominator for £400, you can buy a whole mobo for the price left over, plus a 500GB storage drive on top too! :D

Tags: Add Tags